TechSpot

Could your Internet access and emails be taxed? Luckily, it's not a popular political move, at all

By Julio Franco
May 23, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The Internet Tax Freedom Act of 1998 is set to expire on November 1, which means internet access and usage in the US could soon be taxed for the first time. Combined with efforts to standardize a sales tax on...

Read more
  2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Booster Posts: 180   +31

Up here in Canada its taxed in the form of GST (goods and services tax) with a base tax across the country at 5%. When you pay your internet bill, it's there. If the your email provider is free, then there is no tax.
  3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,666   +879

.I fail to see the significance of the elections with respect to this legislation. It seems to me they could swear up and down they are going to prolong the tax breaks, then, "change their minds", as soon as the election results are counted. Hey, it wouldn't be the first time politicians have broken their campaign promises, now would it?

Besides how much work actually gets done the week before an election, there are hands to be shaken, and babies to be kissed. There's no time to actually do the job you were elected to do., Hell, Obama started campaigning for president not halfway through his first term in congress.

Besides, they could leave the web tax free, and just legalize marijuana, a different set of cronies would benefit, but the overall tax revenue would likely be higher. (Yeah, that pun was intended).
  4. I have no clue what this article rants about. The internet access is already taxed. If you look at your internet bill there are all kinds of fees attached. Sales tax and federal fee this federal fee that. What they want to double tax?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.