Counter-Strike: Source connection issue

This is quite an unusual thing thats happening to me. I play quite a few valve games online like Left 4 Dead (2) and Team Fortress 2 but i have never had this problem before. What happens is when ever i try to use Counter Strike Source with the internet, including a offline server (Just me and 11 bots in it without a connection) it causes my internet connection to basicly die. What happens is i loose connection and it doesn't appear in my available connections dialog. I have had internet problems before but it has never just completly disconected. Then as soon as I exit Counter-Strike my connection eventually comes back to me. This evern happens to me when playing with bots but i am able to play with them but cant connect to online games. When this happens i can't use my internet at all.
The loss of connection also happens to my brother on another computer.

I have a BT Home Hub, i think it was the first type to come out so below version 2.0. I just know what to do so i need some help. Many thanks.

Edit: I felt like trying Left For Dead 2 again and seeing if that still works and it seems the same problem has occured in which i can't connect to a server (after 10 tries) and the internet just...dies. And as soon as I shut down the game it fixes itself.

The loss of connection also happens to my brother on another computer!

In my opinion, your statement right there is kind of the key to the whole puzzle. If the same thing is happening on another computer in the same house, than the problem almost for sure doesn't reside with your computers. The tie that binds both problems together is the "hub/router" thing.

I would first attack the problem by trying to fix or properly diagnose the hub/router first, I think that is where the problems resides. One question, you say your hub thing is an older model, is the hub "amplified" or is it "passive"? Passive hubs have a harder time allowing high traffic signal through them, the information gets either "bottlenecked" and the hub gives up trying to figure it out and drops the connection. Also passive hubs have a hard time allowing signal along a very long line, sometimes signal is just dropped and the connection broken, because there is not enough power in the line to carry the information.

Amplified = A hub that connects to power via a electical socket.
Passive = A hub that doesn't connect to electrical power, uses the power provided by the computer.

I might be wrong about all of this, not like I haven;t been wrong about things before. I'm just getting a strong feeling the hub is the issue!

Thanks for the help mate, what i did to resolve the problem was just diagnose my connection adn it did some fixing. It was unclear as to what it did but it fixed the problem and everything is fine. I would not have thought to simply diagnose the connection using the Windows connection solver

Many Thanks!

Thanks for the help mate, what i did to resolve the problem was just diagnose my connection adn it did some fixing. It was unclear as to what it did but it fixed the problem and everything is fine. I would not have thought to simply diagnose the connection using the Windows connection solver

Many Thanks!

I really glad to hear that everything panned out for you, now your back on line, kicking tail and taking names! :)

Back