Counter-Strike: Source 'Lock-ups'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with Counter-Strike: Source lately.

I used to run Vista Home Premium 32-bit on my machine, but went back to XP, and ever since I've had problems with my games locking up. Any game will do this too! Not just counter-strike: source. If it takes a large load of cpu usage, the game locks up.

It seems to me that World of Warcraft and games on the Source engine from Valve are the worst for me.

My system specs:
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 2100+ @1.7GHz (Rated at 2.1GHz)
Video - PNY NVIDIA GeForce 5 FX 5200 128-bit
Memory - 1GB Corsair DDR 266 SDRAM (1 x 1GB)
Sound - Dynex 5.1 PCI Sound Card

I'm not sure why my computer is doing this from DOWNGRADING to a earlier version of Windows. I've tried reinstalling everything again and it didn't work.

Any help would be appreciated.

world of warcraft doesn't use the source engine, just steam.

your hardware is outdated, and you might need to find the latest drivers or think about upgrading.

I'm sure he realizes that WoW isn't on steam...just saying that WoW and other games on steam do this. Also, why the downgrade? Why not just go get windows 7 and upgrade? Unless you have financial trouble, upgrading would make more sense than upgrading.

I know my rig is out of date, but I'm probably buying a $500 HP Pavillion Elite pretty soon that has a HD 4350 from ATI in it, but I want this piece of crap to work the way I want it to until then.

And yes, I have financial troubles, so I can't do upgrades right now. I'm waiting on my dad to get this money from some lawsuit he had or his disability that he filed like 2 years ago.

All of my drivers are up to date. I always update my drivers every week if there's a new update.

I would really like to get this working for a few months at least.

Anyone know if the S3 ProSavage DDR can run Counter-Strike 1.6? If it can I might play that for a while. I think it's my video card failing or something due to the fact that my video flickers a lot when I'm in Windows.

I've tried reinstalling everything again and it didn't work.
Just checking but did that include XP compatible motherboard chipset drivers and all other drivers too?

Can you try your graphics card in another PC to test it or conversely, can you try another card in your PC?

I have it working but it's slow.

I got an old machine i had running (AMD Sempron 2400+ @1.95GHz, 1GB RAM) and my fx 5200 still had problems.

I now use a ATI Radeon 7000 for video. But, I'm curious as to what games it can run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back