Counterfeit 1050 Ti, attempting ident of actual card

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son ordered a 1050 Ti from Ebay in building a new tower for himself. He found a whopper of a good deal on a 1050 Ti video card, I tried to warn him if it seems too good to be true then "it is" too good to be true. But he didn't listen and ordered it and as usual I was correct, it was "too good to be true". lol

We have gone through the process of turning the seller in for fraud to Ebay and soon to get a refund, but it likes we will still have this card available to use if I could unspoof the BIOS.

Reprogramming the BIOS should be easy enough I have been doing that at work for years using eproms in our electronic products ( I manufactured indoor golf swing analysis electronics for many years).

My difficulty is turning out to be identifying what the card originally was, there are no stickers or labels, all f that has been removed likely an attempt at making it tougher for people to figure out they have been had. Though the VGA output on a 1050 ti should be an obvious dead give away without ever looking at labels or stickers.

I am left with a few things to work with in attempting to identify this card..

The card has an SLI interface on it.

The memory chips on it are (4) SKhynix... H5GC2H24BFR T2C..... On the SKhynix site this comes back as-- GDDR5 SDRAM... 2 GB... 5 or 6 GBps speed.... So a card running 2GB GDDR5 memory. Now I am a little confused, I am not sure after being on the SKhynix site whether the 4 chips should be equal to 2GB or whether each chip should be 2GB totaling 8 GB memory.

DXDIAG(DirectX Diagnostics) read the card as having 2 GB DDR5 memory installed, GPUZ read the card as having 4 GB DDR5 memory installed. I cannot imagine someone using a card with 8GB installed memory to fake a card with 4GB memory that wouldn't make any sense so I am a little confused as to how they are relating the memory to the chip on the SKhynix site.

Most likely the original card could be considered to have 2GB DDR5 memory, possibly 4GB DDR5 memory, the crazy outlier would be 8GB DDR5 memory installed.

As for the processing chip I have been unable to look the number up anywhere yet.
----------------------------
NVIDIA
12B5B170 1120A1
S Taiwan

PAC 085.001
-----------------------------
This above is what the GPU reads on it, it is tough to read, it is a mirrored surface with the print inside of it, you have to get it just right to the light and (with my eyes) take a close up picture of it with a camera to read it. I thought that maybe it was a BS identification "stuck" onto the GPU, but the edges are prefectly matched to the edges of the chip and does not appear to be a sticker ( I cannot pull any part up with a sharp knife blade or anything). I think it may be the actual numbers for the chip.

As I stated I have been unable to find anything related to any of the numbers on that chip as yet.

The next bit of potential Identification help is the outputs.

There are three video outputs...

DVI is the bottom most output
VGA is the center output
HDMI is the upper most output.

VGA has not been used for a while so I was hoping it might help to identify it, though I have no luck so far, many of the older cards that I have looked at didn't even have a VGA output.

Another physical ID is that the fan power plug is just behind the VGA output rather than at the bottom of the card and further back as it is on most of the cards that I have looked at.

This card also has the 6 pin power connector at the top back of the card for direct power from the power supply.

As a side note, the card came in an NVIDIA box, a very "old" NVIDIA box with some new stickers placed on it that read 1050 Ti. I got to thinking that it could be possible that the box may actually go to the card and may give some potential hints as to identifying the card itself. Yeah Long shot I am sure but stranger things have happened..

The box is obviously quite old and has seen some serious wear and tear, my first clue when it arrived that this was "not" the brand new 1050 Ti that my son though he was ordering.

The box has the NVIDIA (eye symbol?) on it . It says "NVIDIA" and also states "Gaming Graphic Card". As far as I knew NVIDIA doesn't directly market any cards, though I could be wrong about.

On the back of the box within a green block it states this information..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Key Features
Nfinite FX II engine
Accuview Antialiasing (AA)
AGP 4X/8X PCI-E Support
Nview Multi-display technology
Lightspeed memory architecture
World's fastest DDR memory interface
High-Definition Video Processing (HDVP)
Highest Quality and Highest Performance
Microsoft Windows XP support
Operating systems package includes
WHQL-certified drivers for Windows XP
Windows 2000, Vista, Windows 98
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the left of the green box are some alternating green and white lines with information.
--------------------------------------
GeForce 8 series | GeForce 8 series | NVIDIA nForce Professions
GeForce 9 series | NVIDIA nForce4 | NVIDIA QuadroNVS
NVIDIA nForce4 SLI | GeForce FX | NVIDIA nForce Business
NVIDIA nForce Ultra | NVIDIA nFoRCE3 |
GeForce FX | NVIDIA nForce 2 Digital Media
NVIDIA nForce3 | NVIDIA personal Cinema
NVIDIA nForce 2 Gaming | NVIDIA ANTV
NVIDIA Personal Cinema | GeForce MX
---------------------------------------
Directly below this box is something that makes me think that the box may even be counterfeit.
"FEATURED PEODUCT"

Other than the misspelling and the fact that as far as I am aware NVIDIA does not directly market any product backed up by NVIDIA when I called a couple days ago though I admit the tech didn't know his head from his a**, but the tech commented that they do not make any cards at NVIDIA they just sell chips to other companies that use those chips to manufacture their own branded cards. But the thought occurred to me it could be possible that way back when maybe it could have been different and this would not be the first time that I caught a spelling mistake on a manufacturers box.

I am unsure I have an ability to put pictures on this site, but I will attempt to put some of the ones that I have on here.

Attachments

• SAM_0675.JPG
    SAM_0675.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 1
  • SAM_0677.JPG
    SAM_0677.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 1
  • SAM_0682.JPG
    SAM_0682.JPG
    430.2 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.