Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Ti Super Review

It's just all so cynical, don't you think?

Performance numbers decided in a Nvida lab, with more concern given to where it will sit in the stack rather than what the cards are actually capable of when let off the leash.

I've no doubt this card could have got closer, much closer, to a vanilla 4080, but the bean counters and marketing twots, said no.

Performance numbers decided in a Nvida lab, with more concern given to where it will sit in the stack rather than what the cards are actually capable of when let off the leash.

I've no doubt this card could have got closer, much closer, to a vanilla 4080, but the bean counters and marketing twots, said no.

Yup... Greed is the alpha and omega. The GPU consumers made Nvidia a megacorp that could become an AI giant, yet they pass as little as possible on to them.

Disappointing, seems like Nvidia is starting to drop the ball a little with these mediocre releases. I'll wait for the 5xxx series.

Just wondering why it's taking AMD so long to catch up? They trounced Intel when Intel was releasing mediocre CPUs, hope AMD pulls its $hit together and does something similar to Nvidia.

it would have to be priced at no more than $700, so a $100 saving or a 13% discount.
Well if you look at the 4070 super there is ONE model selling for MSRP, the nVidia founders edition. All of the board partners cards are selling above MSRP, I'm sure the same will be true of the 4070ti super. On top of that. We've been told for weeks now that it will have limited supply so good luck buying one.

Last edited:

Don't forget those "greedy" profits are what fund the R&D for the next card. And R&D breakthroughs are not predictable linear improvements, nor are even node shrinks anymore. But consumers demand regular improvements which necessitates holding extra performance back to make sure next year's product sells too. I'm actually surprised the positioning wasn't better: a 10% improvement made the most sense strategically and would more cleanly fit the 'bean counter and marketing guys' road map.

The improvement is disappointing for consumers and frankly surprising from a strategy positioning standpoint. The +10% the specs suggested would fit the product line and competition better than this 4-5%. It makes me wonder if there is a driver issue that will be ironed out soon.

Still, even a +10% is a bit underwhelming at this point. I think most people would be better off waiting a year and getting 4080 Super performance at the $600 price point with the 5070.

Disappointing, seems like Nvidia is starting to drop the ball a little with these mediocre releases. I'll wait for the 5xxx series.

Just wondering why it's taking AMD so long to catch up? They trounced Intel when Intel was releasing mediocre CPUs, hope AMD pulls its $hit together and does something similar to Nvidia.
Intel grew complacent in its dominant position (its bureaucratic inertia didn't help either) and essentially stood still for years giving AMD a chance to catch up.

Nvidia is moving forward quickly with more R&D funding due to its market share.

Add to that AMD is busy taking market share from Intel before it can recover so GPUs are a secondary priority both in terms of total revenue and profit margins.

AMD's primary move to compete with Nvidia is to lower prices, but then Nvidia can just lower its prices to stop losing customers. At which point, AMD has no additional market share but smaller profits after the price cuts, so it has little incentive to lower prices.

Observation: Nvidia has missed the chance to have a proper 4080 'lite' or 'junior' again. They opted instead to have the 4070 Ti Super. Why can't they name cards made with the same chip into the same named product range? Is it that hard to group products made with the same silicon into the same tier? For all the genius of Jensen, they just can't nail the names.....

Exactly what I was thinking. Seems they're limiting performance in the driver, which should be illegal in a just world

The improvement is disappointing for consumers and frankly surprising from a strategy positioning standpoint. The +10% the specs suggested would fit the product line and competition better than this 4-5%. It makes me wonder if there is a driver issue that will be ironed out soon.

Still, even a +10% is a bit underwhelming at this point. I think most people would be better off waiting a year and getting 4080 Super performance at the $600 price point with the 5070.
Worse, maybe they intentionally limited performance but went too far and now reviewers are catching it. Let's see how much things improve with the next driver. Doesn't make sense since the 3080 was pretty close to 3080 Ti and 3090 performance despite a similar proportional reduction in units like this thing versus the base 4080.

Observation: Nvidia has missed the chance to have a proper 4080 'lite' or 'junior' again. They opted instead to have the 4070 Ti Super. Why can't they name cards made with the same chip into the same named product range? Is it that hard to group products made with the same silicon into the same tier? For all the genius of Jensen, they just can't nail the names.....
What are you talking about, the 4080 was the 4080 lite, the difference is that they changed the name and increased the price. They called a 70 and 80, a 60 a 79 and a 50 a 60. The 4090 was the 4080 and the 4080 was the 4070ti. Then they increased the price by 20% across the board. I think the 40 series is the worst release I can remember and I owned a 5700GT in the early 2000s

Translation: Nvidia wants to keep the price as high as it can. It's too bad that will cripple sales, IMO.
They're already sold out everywhere with some selling for $100 over MSRP. When it becomes $720 for a 7900xt or not being able to get a 4070ti super for $900 then the 7900xt becomes the obvious choice. Also, the 4070ti is still selling for ~$780 most places

They're already sold out everywhere with some selling for $100 over MSRP. When it becomes $720 for a 7900xt or not being able to get a 4070ti super for $900 then the 7900xt becomes the obvious choice. Also, the 4070ti is still selling for ~$780 most places
As they say, you can't cure stupid.

The guy knows that the game in which activated RT makes a difference is not playable, so he activates magic upscaling and blurs the image to pretend that it is... "we found the result valid". Go figure.

So, 10% more cores, but not quite a 10% across the board uplift. Though, @4K it is pretty close to that 10%. No reason to be disappointed here, it's exactly what you would expect from the spec sheet maybe just a wee bit worse, but not really materially. It might have gone the other way with a different test suite. Techpowerup saw a little bit more favorable numbers for the ASUS TUF model, but still very much in the ballpark of what you are seeing with the Ventus. I guess we can expect the 4080 S to be 4-6% faster than the 4080 at best given this result.

One suggestion for Techspot. How about providing some links to advance to the average results? I typically look for that first and then go back to look at specific games. You have to scroll quite a bit to get to the averages.

Great job as always!

Intel must be consulting Nvidia on how to refresh their products. This card is pathetic.

Back