CPU = 800FSB or 533FSB on my mobo ? Time for an upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU = Northwood > Prescott ? (Updated)

Hi guys,

Currently running :

P4 1.6 CPU
Gigabyte GA-SINXP1394 mobo
2 x 512MB PC3200 RAM
1 x 40GB IDE drive running as master/OS
2 x 120GB IDE drives running striped no the IDE RAID controller for data
MSI GeForce FX5600XT vid card

Now, i've just managed to score some overtime at work... and, an even bigger deal, i've managed to convince the missus to let me spend that money from the overtime on myself... it just happens to be almost enough to get me a new CPU ;) (i'll worry about the fallout when she works out the shortfall later on lol)

So... my question is this... this being a 533Mhz FSB board... but also looking toward the future... is an 800Mhz CPU going to run in this, just at a slower rate ??

Any suggestions/recommendations etc. on what would be good for running on that board are very much welcome... keeping in mind that I DO have a relatively limited budget... so i've been looking at chips around the low 3Ghz range... just to give you a ballpark to play in ;)

According to this page, it cannot support a 200mhz (800) FSB CPU. You'll have to update the board if you wish to use such a CPU.

Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

Didou said:
According to *URL Rremoved cuz it wouldn't let me post it lol*, it cannot support a 200mhz (800) FSB CPU. You'll have to update the board if you wish to use such a CPU.

Bugger :p Thought they might have been somewhat backwards compatible... saving me a bit of cash in the semi-near future... but I guess not lol.

Didou said:
Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks... and thanks for the info ;)

Sorry - one quick thing I just realised I forgot to ask... from what i've seen in regards to heat vs performance, etc. I would be better off getting a Northwood chip, rather than a Prescott??

And would I also be right if I assumed that the chips which don't show which chip core they are, that if they have 1MB of L2 cache, they would be Prescott chips ??

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/gid_66.html?o=150

Looking at that page atm, which seems to be quite a good indication as to what's around for what prices in NZ... problem is, some of them are a little light when it comes to providing info...

At present, I am leaning towards this one :

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz 478 533 BX80532PE2800D Box NorthWood, which is the cheapest of the 533 2.8Ghz chips. I imagine that should be a fair step up from my 1.6 :D

(Oh yeah - and sorry, gave wrong speed for RAM... it's 2700, not 3200 :))

Modified the Subject line to indicate that my initial question has now changed somewhat :)

[EDIT: *attempted* to modify it. Wasn't aware that these forums don't allow users to change the Subject of a thread ]

Some feedback on the Northwood vs Prescott thing would be greatly appreciated, as i've just heard that yes, indeed, my over-time has been approved ! Yay ! New CPU for me for Xmas :grinthumb

Guys - recommendation please ? Northwood vs Prescott ?? I'd really like to get this thing before Xmas, and time is running short, cuz all the shops are closing early lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back