CPU Burn Out..Oh Dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellomoto

Hi all,

I have a problem with my CPU temp at the mo...Recently i have noticed that it has been spiking very high. It has spent some time at above 80c at which point i fainted and lost the will to live :dead:. It seems that when i do anything heavy it spikes high. Its a bit worrying, so yesterday i reapplied thermal compound and took a can of pressurised air to the fan and heatsink getting rid of the **** stuck to it..After switching back on it has made know difference at all, still averaging about 60 which is way to high for my nerves...I might have put too much thermal compound on it...

Can anyone suggest any other methods of lowering my cpu temp before i dont have one left..

Having said all the above i really have to hand it too intel, their chips can sustain 80c for a bit..not sure how long, but fair play to intel... :rolleyes:

Ive thought about watercooling, but i dont think its worth the money and the time too install..Can anybody point in me in the right direction of any good watercooling solutions for just CPU cooling not VGA as well.

Thanks

Hello Ellomoto,

I think you should replace all of your case fan with 120mm fan or temperature controlled fan (Preferrable ThermalTake, i mean :) )

Or better yet, grab a high perfomance copper heatsink with fan from ThermalTake or Vantec. If you dont mind the noise, grab the Vantec Tornado 80mm fan! :p

Watercooling is time-consuming and have to keep up on maintance (keep changing fluid every 6 months).

Oh by the way, nice rig, man!

Lucan

p.s. P4 running on 400mhz fsb has short life than 533/800/1066mhz. I am running p4 2.66ghz (2664mhz on 533mhz fsb) and the max temp is 55. i am using it for 1 and 2/4 years. it still good.

Hey all,

Thanks for everybodies comments, i have downloaded cpuidle and it has made that 10c difference it says it does, which is cool...

Bushwacker...thanks for comment about watercooling, i always thought that it would be a pain in the **** to maintain..its good to see some one else holds the same view point...

About the case fan situation...i think you could be right...i have two 80mm fans at the back blowing out maybe they are not as effective as i always thought. ie they dont push enough warm air out...

The only thing is that i have two 80mm vents in the back and not one 120mm..i would have a problem when fitting it a 120mm

so i think i might go with a new heatsink and fan - i like the reviews for the zalman CNPS7700-AlCu...looks quiet and cool..

suggestion

you could also check your ide ribbons and the power supply wiring as both can obstruct proper airflow in the case. also what kind of power supply do you use? most newer ones of any account have a bottom intake fan that helps pull heat directly from the cpu and expells it out the back thru power supply as the cpu sits almost directly below it. :giddy:

I run with a thermaltake butterfly 480 PSU, which has a bottom intake fan helping push hot air out...

Ive completely solved my problem now anyway...before i was using ordinary thermal compound which i dont think was very good...

I have bought some artic silver 5 what can i say WOW!! :approve:

It has lowered my cpu temp from an average of 65/70 too an average of 39 on idle and 46 on full load...

If anybody has this problem like this i recommend artic silver 5...quality stuff.

Thanks for your comments

To be honest its actually quite good..

Ive had it for over a year now and it hardly makes a noise..
Compared with my akasa cpu fan which runs at about 30db i would say the PSU makes no more than 10db - 15db which is nothing compared to the cpu fan...

I would deffinately recommend it, although it has its cons..
1) the brightness of the leds is weak (the box picture shows the PSU with led fans, not what you get when you open up your box)
2) DONT USE the exhaust blower if you are building a quiet PC - its a jet engine.

Cheers

Is there a way to disable those LEDs?
That's the only thing I don't like about it.
Where I live we have only a limited choice of PSU available, and this is one of them.

There is deffinately know built in method of disabling them, however if you had enough knowledge/balls you could probably find a way by getting inside the thing...

Unfortunately i havent been blessed with that knowledge, so cant really help you with that...soz.

If you do get one and tackle the LED situation post back, i would be interested in the results..

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back