Cpu cooler compatablitiy question

By Nick Lee
Jul 12, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys, its been a while since I've been on. My computer died by lightning a few weeks back and I'm going to upgrade in the upcoming weeks
    Asus M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
    XFX HD 489A-ZDDC (4890 1GB)
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
    Corsair 650TX (650watts)
    OCZ Special Ops Urban Elite 4gb (2x2gb) I only wanted 4gb as I think a 6gb kit is more than needed.
    AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8ghz
    Microsoft Vista SP1 64bit (inclused a upgrade coupon for windows 7)
    I don't know if I should stick with my copy of xp untill 7 comes out and buy 7 or upgrade to vista 64bit and then get windows 7... but I do want 7.

I choose these parts to try to save some money and be able to play anygames at 1920x1080 with great frames. and I'm an amd fan .... how ever if I had the money (if I had) I would switch over to intel.

Anyways.... Sorry I like to get sidetracked....lol.

I use a Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreame for a cpu cooler, What is the difference between the Socket AM2 and AM3 because this cooler included an adapter for the AM2 and I just wanted to know will this work or will I have to buy a new after market cooler because I hate and don't trust stock coolers.

Please help.
    -Nick Lee
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,732   +156

The cooler Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme with the AM2 adapter will fit the AM3
  3. Nick Lee

Nick Lee TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 151

Thanks a lot man, I do not want to buy another cooler, this one is so beautiful....
  4. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

lol i told you in your last post it would fit.
  5. Nick Lee

Nick Lee TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 151

yea but I posted this topic before the other one, at the time this one didn't have an answer so I asked you. ^_^
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.