Cpu Desribing Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

Hey everyone i started to get into computers around 3 years ago, and since then I really enjoy them. Now im trying to figure out wats the difference bettween processors.

1. Whats the difference between Intel and amd. (whats difference)
2. What is newer and better, pentium 4 or pentium d?
3. Why do the call amd's such as 3000+ when there only around 2 ghz??
4. is a intel celeron similar to a amd sempron, witch is better.
5. Whats the difference in mobo sockets and mhz, (such as 400mhz and
500mhz?)
Thanks for looking and please add anything that i might need to know between cpu's. And whats the newest out and what is best. Thankyou in advance :)

<1. Whats the difference between Intel and amd. (whats difference)>
Different companies. Intel is Intel and AMD is AMD. Their wars are for most part legendary... P4 vs Athlon, then the 64bit wars, dual core wars - now intel has their new Core series AMD are crapping themselves...
but its usualy intels: office/production type stuff/lite apps-numbercrunchers, and those who can afford the price for quality... while AMD are for games and budget people that still does a decent job (if not better)

2. What is newer and better, pentium 4 or pentium d?
i think Pentium D is newer and better than the P4... although P4 has an Extreme Edition but i forgot where that fits on the timeline

3. Why do the call amd's such as 3000+ when there only around 2 ghz??
most likely their equivilants to the Intel chips (guessing here)

dont know the answers for sure for the next two questions so i let the big techs to answer them.. and maybe correct me on anything thats not accurate of mine..

1. see N3051M's answer above
2. It really all depends on what you use your computer for, but personally I'd say of the two you have listed, the "D" is the better choice. Have you seen this chart before?:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page21.html

It outlines all the intel cpus, and their relative speeds and detailed info. Very well done spreadsheet.

3. The AMD model numbers are kind of meant to be used as a comparison to the equivilant Intel processor. So an Athlon64 3200+ cpu can somewhat be compared to a P4 3.2 Ghz. But this is a VERY rough system. The official answer is that AMD has their own system of testing CPUs on a wide range of software applications. Based on the benchmark scores the CPUs put out, AMD assigns the CPU a model number. So the higher the number, the better the CPU did on their own internal benchmarking system.

4. Both Intel and AMD have a "budget" level CPU that they put out. For Intel it is their "celeron" series and for AMD it is their "sempron" series. Which is better is a matter of debate, and personal opinion. Personally, neither are any good for my needs ;)

5. As for sockets, the difference is evolution (to put it simply). CPUs are always advancing, and there is always a point in the evolution that a CPU needs a new socket type, as the current one does not have the connections to the motherboard that the newer technology requires. Thus a new socket type is born.

And for your final question, are you asking about the FSB (front side bus)? Simply, it is the speed at which your processor interacts with the components on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back