Cpu/dram Clock Ratio

By simonbalaam
Jan 17, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HI, JUST INSTALLED PC CHIP M48A MOTHERBOARD ALONG WITH A AMD XP 266 + CPU AND 2X PC 320 400 MHZ 256 RAM.

THE SYSTEM BIOS ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE THE CPU AND RAM FREQUENCY AND HAS A CPU/DRAM CLOCK RATIO SETTING.

ON THE AUTO SETUP THAT I AM USING IT SHOWS THE CPU BUS FREQUENCY AS 166 MHZ WITH A CLOCK RATIO OF 1.1. DOES THIS SOUND OK AND CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT THE CLOCK RATIO IMPLIES.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP.

THANKS.
  2. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,382   +15

1, Welcome to TS
    2, PLEASE lose the caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your nux to come to a board and just start posting in caps

I dont really know about hte clock ratio thing, but 166 as the bus doesnt sound right if you have a 266MHz [bus] AthlonXP. It should be 133.. however if I were you I'd just set it to auto-config in your bios.
  3. tripleione

tripleione Newcomer, in training Posts: 181

The clock ratio determines how the fast the memory will run in relation to the speed of the CPU's FSB. 1:1 means that both the CPU and the memory will run at the same frequency, rather than at a ratio of that frequency.

For example, a your CPU runs at 133MHz FSB. 1:1 would make your CPU and memory run in sync at 133MHz FSB (this would be 266MHz DDR). If you were to set the ratio to 3:2, your CPU would run at a 133MHz while your memory would run at 88MHz (133MHz / 3) x 2 = 88MHz).

Usually the best performance will come from keeping this setting at 1:1. However, if you have memory that can handle higher speeds than your CPU, you might try changing the ratio where the memory runs faster than the CPU.
  4. sammael0

sammael0 Newcomer, in training

right, ive got a m848alu with an AMD 2800+ and 2x 256m 400mhz ddr ram... my cpu is suppose to run at like 2.08ghz with the original (auto-detected) clock.. but i pushed it up to 183, making my speed a 2.29ghz stable in winxp... but i left the 1:1 ratio alone.. i tried to change it so the ddr speed was close to 200 (making the true speed 400) and it wouldn't boot. so, again. i left it at 1:1.. and if the m848 had a better bios, i could change the voltage and probably get more like 2.6ghz out of it.. >.O but as it stands i'll be upgrading soon.. i was thinking of the 3200+ but a friend of mine says that the 2800+ arcitecture allows for a great OC yield and therefore i should stick with it.. but i don't really like the 333mhz fsb.. i think i'd rather the 400mhz fsb.. but i don't know if i'd really see a difference.. except for the price.. hehe.. 333mhz is like $120, compared to $200+ for the 400mhz.. (prices are from newegg.com) any insights?
  5. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

Please don't use all caps to make a post, people tend to not want to help you, and it is a good way to get your post deleted

Agissi, using 37 !'s is also a good way to get your deleted
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.