CPU fan error...but fan is spinning

By kobe_forever
Jul 8, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hi! just assembled Asus P5RD1-V MoBo with Intel Pentium D 805 DualCore! the original intel fan (4pin) made too much noise so i got Speeze Intel P4 775 cooler (3pin) instead. i have set jumpers accordingly for 3pin fan....and the fan is spinning nice and quietly but during startup i experience a "fan error" message. cpu temperature is in normal parameters also (around 40^C). any ideas of what the problem might be?
    thanks in advance
    timtim
  2. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

hi kobe and welcome to techspot :)

have you updated the BIOS? a newer version may fix it if the problem is a "false error"

though normally you don't need to move any jumpers to use a 3 pin fan on a 4 pin header. just plug it in like this:
    [​IMG]
    try setting the jumper back to the "4 pin" setting and see if the error goes away. if the fan spins, then i wouldn't worry about the jumper setting.
  3. kobe_forever

kobe_forever Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

:)

thanx KingCody!
    i shall try this as soon as i get home....do i update BIOS once i am in windows i take it?
    regards
    timo
  4. KingCody

that depends.

in the past you had to update the BIOS in DOS mode via a floppy disk

but now days you can update almost all BIOSes from a windows based program.

your motherboard's support CD will usually include a BIOS update program or you can goto the momo maker's website and view instructions there.

but before you do that, try the simple hardware setting that I mentioned before, because a power loss during a BIOS update will make your mobo into a paperweight ;)
  5. IPEX computing

IPEX computing Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

IPEX Computing - FAN error

Some FANS only have 2 leads as opposed to 3.
    If there are only 2 leads then the motherboard will not pick up the fan
  6. KingCody

kobe doesn't has a 3pin fan, not a 2pin fan.

(it's in the 1rst post :))
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.