TechSpot

CPU fan running top speed and computer won't boot even in BIOS, no screen

By cableman
Nov 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 and I have had some freezing issues and it has wanted to reboot on it's own for no reason frequently. I thought it was some malware that I couldn't detect so I was in the process of backing up my system when the really bad problem came up.

Now when I try to reboot the computer, the cpu fan runs faster than I have ever heard it. It sounds like it will literally fly apart it is running so fast. I can get no screen whatsoever and it will not boot; not even in bios.

I have read several posts about boot problems but I haven't seen anything about the cpu fan running so fast. When I try to boot the computer the light comes on it the front and of course the cpu fan comes on but no monitor signal and no boot at all. I have no control to try and help it.

It has the fan shroud like the Dell's are popular about having but I have removed it with no luck and put it back on. Once the fan came on normally and it booted up but I ran Tune Up Utilities to check the system and it crashed while running the scan. I haven't been able to boot it in any way again. When I push the button to start it all I get is the cpu fan running full force and I mean like nothing I have heard before. I can let it set for a while and it makes no difference. I am running a sata 120gig hard drive and 3 sticks of 1gig each ddr2 ram.

I recently had trouble with a video card that I had used for as long as I've had the computer and removed it but now my problems are worse. My power supply is only a 250 watt that came with the computer. I have tried removing and changing the ram memory but no effect.

If anyone can help me please do because I have a problem that keeps me home bound and the internet such as e-bay,etc is my only income and I don't even have a backup. I am using a friends computer to post this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.