TechSpot

Cpu fan won't turn on

By Fred
Mar 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I built a new computer but the CPU fan won't work and I get no video. The CPU is an Intel Core2 Duo and it came with a fan. When I turn the computer on the phase lights on the motherboard light up and the other fans turn on (including the video card fan) but the CPU fan wont turn on. I rechecked and made sure I plugged the wire into the correct spot. The motherboard has a connector for the CPU power that has 4 pins open and 4 pins covered by a plastic plug. The power supply comes with two wires that have 4 pins, one says 12V and the other just has an arrow (->) on it. So I plugged just the 12V one into the open connector on the motherboard and didn't use the other one. The fan has a connector on the board right next to the CPU that's labeled CPU fan and that is a four pin connector. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The CPU instructions said "don't use thermal grease, thermal grease was pre-applied to the heatsink." So I didn't. Any ideas on how to get this thing to post?

m/b: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P(rev. 2.1)
    CPU: Intel core 2 duo 3ghz
    Nvidia e-GE force9600 GT
    OS Win XP SP2
    Memory : Kingston DDRII 6400
    PSU: 500W
  2. Fred

Fred TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

I think I found my problem. I was searching forums, and I found this. According to this thread Gigabyte motherboards need a different kind of PSU, one requiring a "-5v pin connector. Has anybody else heard of this? I think my original post was under the wrong topic, it wasn't the fan.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/263404.aspx
  3. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram TS Rookie Posts: 233

What model of PSU do you have? (Brand, Model)
  4. Fred

Fred TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 43

A friend bought the gigabyte board on Newegg. The PSU ordered was an Enermax Liberty 500w DxX, and the 2nd one I have is a was a Dynex 400w DX-400WPS that I bought today just to see if it was just a bad PSU. Neither one works with that Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.