CPU heatsink fan is this possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinlw

Hi i have had fitted a Phenom quad core together with a heatsink fan in from the same box,thing is is it possible to buy a fan only to replace the existing one,which i find noisy. Regards Martin.

Do you want to buy stock heat sink that comes with your processor? That might not be possible.

However you can always buy an aftermarket HSF. In this case you have a large number of options such as Xigmatek, OCZ, Scythe, Zalman and the likes.

What is your budget?

Try looking at the Xigmatek S1283 or the OCZ Vendetta 2. They should come in within that budget.

What processor, mobo and case do you have? I have the AMD Phenom II X3 720 / ASUS M4A78T-E / Cooler MAster CM690 case and the OCZ Vendetta 2 fits just fine.

I have an AMD phenom x4 processor 9650 motherboard Biostar GF 8100 M2+TE as for the cooler it just says AMD.

Whys and Wherefores........

Hi i have had fitted a Phenom quad core together with a heatsink fan in from the same box,thing is is it possible to buy a fan only to replace the existing one,which i find noisy. Regards Martin.

NO...!

The reason the fan that came with the stock cooler is loud,is because it must turn at high RPMs, in order to move sufficient air to maintain proper cooling. Any other fan you might be able to hook up with the stock heatsink would also suffer from the same issue. Many fans that are advertised as "quiet" are made that way by reducing the amount of available airflow. All you need do is read the specs for any fan you might consider, and you'll quickly realize that the arbiter of noise produced is the amount of air moved, when equal blade sizes and RPMs are compared.

The only way to reduce noise is to use a larger diameter fan, which will either move a equivalent volume of air at lower RPM, or much more air at equal RPMs.

Since most of today's boards have provision for PWM control of fan velocity, that work's nicely into the general strategy of cooling I outlined above .Equal cooling results from lower fan RPMs, which the motherboard is able to sense and control. It doesn't need to rev up the fan to keep the CPU at a reasonable temperature, so it doesn't.

As Ritwik suggests, the only viable method of reducing noise resides in an aftermarket cooler.

Hi,I have discovered in the Bios a smart fan configuration either quiet,performace or manual,with a fan calibrator for manual or quiet ,i think i will give this a try,is it safe to use though.Regards Martin.

As ritwik states above the ocz vendetta 2 should fit nicely, and has a fan size of 120 mm which should quieten things down a touch.

As for the cool n quiet software in your bios. i would leave it turned off imo.. I have no idea why! its just what ive always heard.

Hope this helps. :)

Although it might be too late, let me put in my 2¢. I recently built a PC with a Phenom II X4 955 Black and I found the stock fan too noisy due to the speed it was turning. I just replaced it with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and it is now nice and quiet. The other coolers mentioned already probably work just fine but I wanted to add my experience into the mix. I've used the same brand for a couple of Intel based PCs I have too.

Hi, I have an Intel Quad core processor with a very noisy fan. I would like to change heatsink and fan as I use my PC for recording music. recording audio through a microphone is impossible due to the noisy fan. Is it possible to cool the cpu using only a heatsink such as the Prolima Megahalems which has good reviews?
Can anyone recommend a very quiet (silent if possible) heatsink and fan for under say £60?
Any help appreciated.

regards Russ

Hi, you can start your own threads too, but thats ok.

Exactly what CPU do you have, and is it overclocked? Keep in mind the noise may be a different fan, like your case fan. Just double check that to make sure.

The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail
is the only low noise cooler I know of, it is rather expensive and I would assume there are more fitting options for you, someone else help :).

EDIT: Glad to see you did decide to start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back