CPU hogging

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer is an HP pavilion 511 n which has Microsoft XP professional and has an Intel Celeron (TM) CPU 1300 MHz ,1.29 GHz and 128 MB of RAM . I am running SBC Yahoo DSL on it and it is running extremely slow and is taking forever to minimize, maximize and load pages. It is going slower than AOL and It doesnt make much sense since DSL is a lot faster connection. I have gotten rid of as much spyware as possible but that doesnt seem to be the problem seeing as the CPU is being hogged by something and will not stabilize and when i click on the performance tab it is always ranging from 80-100% and will not stabalize. I was told to reinstall windows but for one i cannot find the disk and two I was wondering if i could fix the problem a little bit easier by maybe getting a CPU free ware tool that would stabalize the processor and make it run faster does anyone have any suggestions. please help

in task manager, select the processes tab and click the cpu column header, sorting the processes by thier cpu usage. post the names of the processes using the most cpu time. have you got any virus protection?

"on the performance tab it is always ranging from 80-100% and will not stabalize" and what's the image(process) name?

the process that is taking up the most cpu is the system idle process which ive been told is normal? And yes i do have virus protection that of mcafee 8.0 i believe should i get another type of virus protection?

Hmm, I haven't heard of file indexing causing 100% cpuload, but here is how you disable it regardless:

Open "My Computer"
Right-Click the partition in question, typically C:
Select properties

If this is an NTFS drive and the indexing service is active, there will be a checkbox with "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk... "

Uncheck, apply, apply to all, done.

You will have to repeat this for all NTFS partitions on your discs. An alternative is to disable the indexing service in the Services Administrator tool (control panel, administrative tools), however indexing can be useful for partitions with many files you may want to find, such as mp3s, pictures, etc.

Yoxy99 said:
And yes i do have virus protection that of mcafee 8.0 i believe should i get another type of virus protection?
mcaffee couldn't stop a french soldier. for functional protection, get a copy of avg or norton internet security 2005. the latter will cost you $60(USD), but avg has a good free antivirus software available at grisoft.com.
PS: no offense to the french, just illustrating the poor quality of mcafee software in a way the non-french world understands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back