CPU - leaking thermal paste and overheating

Hello,

We have a 1 year old PC that's been running daily for the last 3 months @ 8-10 hours per day.

It has recently started giving a CPU temp overheating warning on booting.

We opened the case and found that some thermal paste appeared to have leaked from the CPU fan (see photo) Is this a sign that the cabinet it's in is not cool enough or that the thermal paste needs replacing?

Can anyone say what the solution is?

Specs below!

Thanks in advance!

Nick

· Processor: Intel i7, 2.2 GHz
· Memory: 16GB
· Hard Drive: 60GB required
· Motherboard: Asus P8Z68V Pro-Gen3
· Bus: 2 x PCIe 2 16 slots
· GPU/Graphics: 2 x ATi FirePro GL V7900 quad-head graphics cards

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    609.5 KB · Views: 32
I can't seem to see the thermal paste in the picture but, nevertheless:

I would think that the thermal paste was not applied correctly in the first place, likely with too much being used.

I would be immediately removing the CPU cooler and re-applying the paste. Here's a tutorial if you need help:

Make sure there's no damage to the block before re-applying the past, however.

Thanks!

Looks tricky to a newbie like me! What's the best way to test that the new paste has worked?

(btw. the photo got rotated so the thermal paste is to the right of the fan: the white blob where the graphics card is seated in the PCI slot.)

WOW, I didn't see that the first time :eek:

I wouldn't be using the PC at all until you get that sorted. Get yourself a microfiber cloth (NOT WET) and very carefully wipe that paste off the graphics card. You're at risk of seriously damaging the card if that stays.

As for applying thermal paste, it's pretty easy. Firstly, remove the CPU block, it should just be a matter of unscrewing the corners, since the Corsair water block is pretty simple to remove. Clean the existing thermal paste off the CPU and the block with a microfiber cloth and some isopropyl alcohol, just wipe it off until it's clean. Then place a small dot of thermal paste in the center of the CPU and evenly press down with the block, screwing in the corners slowly and evenly.

Best way to test that it's worked? Compare your CPU temperatures now and afterwards :p You should see an improvement.

Edit: Look on youtube for tutorials on changing thermal paste, just make sure to use the dot method :)

I wouldn't be using the PC at all until you get that sorted. Get yourself a microfiber cloth (NOT WET) and very carefully wipe that paste off the graphics card. You're at risk of seriously damaging the card if that stays.
I'm thinking the thermal compound used is non-conductive and would not be of risk to other components.

thermal grease (thermal paste or thermal compound
There are two types of thermal grease: non-conductive and conductive. The non-conductive thermal grease types includes silicone and zinc thermal greases. The conductive types includes silver, copper, and aluminum-based greases. These are considered superior, but must be used carefully or they can cause electrical shorts if applied to the microprocessor's pin s or the electrical pathways on the circuit board .

Question though:
How do you know when those Closed-Loop Coolers have gone bad?

Thanks!

I'm thinking the thermal compound used is non-conductive and would not be of risk to other components.

I'm think it must have been running some time (without getting fritzed) with the compound on the card as it looks quite caked so hopefully you're right - it is non-conductive.

We've cleaned off the card and the slot with alcohol and a toothbrush :)

How do you know when those Closed-Loop Coolers have gone bad?

We realised the pump itself was making quite a 'clack-clack' noise and have decided to replace the pump and radiator.

Any thoughts on the cause?
Could a failed pump cause the thermal paste to leak like that?
Or vice versa - poorly applied paste causes the pump to fail?

Also.. the PC has been running in what is essentially a building site - alot of dust floating around. Could this cause the pump to fail?

We realised the pump itself was making quite a 'clack-clack' noise and have decided to replace the pump and radiator.
The pump failing was my first thoughts on your issue. The paste dripping from the CPU, I believe to be a different topic and was not related to the over-heating of the CPU.

Any thoughts on the cause?
Could a failed pump cause the thermal paste to leak like that?
Or vice versa - poorly applied paste causes the pump to fail?
The pump either works or it doesn't. Poorly applied paste would not have any effects on the workmanship of the cooler. The thermal paste is simply a middle man to make sure that temperatures are transfered from one material to the next. If anything I think the shop where you had the system built, applied to much thermal paste which allowed for the excess to drop on your graphics card.

Also.. the PC has been running in what is essentially a building site - alot of dust floating around. Could this cause the pump to fail?
The cooler is a sealed unit, therefor dust would not be a contributing factor.

Super! Thank you for all the info.

Just sounds like bad luck with the cooling unit failing then? (and some excessive paste!)

Hopefully up and running when we get our new cooling unit tomorrow!

Back