TechSpot

CPU makes an electric leak like sound

By dagcilibili
Jan 17, 2010
  1. Hello,

For a while my computer have been making a electric leak like sound whenever the CPU usage gets high. However, lately it started to make it more often. For example with anti-virus searches and malware search softwares, the CPU usage goes up to 80 percent and this weird noise comes from the CPU.

This sound sample i have recorded for you to picture the sound. This was recorded with microphone very near to CPU. The background humming noise comes from the fan, but I am very certain that this leak-like sound does not come from fan because it does not have a specific pattern and only occur with high CPU uges. The CPU usage was around 80% in this recording.

rapidshare.com/files/336732081/buzzyNoise.mp3

For information, my configurations are:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    Motherboard MSI 915P/G Neo2 Platinium ed.

so not that bad.

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

P4 has always been a power hungry CPU, that said, I'd say you better check your PSU first, is it providing correct voltage on all the rails?

3. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

You can also test some of the parts for noise by touching them with the eraser on the end of a pencil ........ an old trick ;)

Also, try to check temperatures of various zones on your motherboard; although i still believe PSU is more likely suspect.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.