CPU not recognized at startup

By Bagu
Dec 24, 2003
  1. Whenever my computer starts up, instead of showing the CPU type it just says "Unknown CPU type". Also, when I go into the device manager it also says "Unknown CPU type"

Is there a way for Windows or my computer in general to recognize the CPU.

If windows cannot, will this cause problems running my computer?

I can bring the computer up, and can use IE or check my email, but I use something that uses a lot of resources the computer crashes.

Windows XP OS
  2. SubKamran

SubKamran TS Rookie Posts: 166

Er, what IS your CPU? What exact model is it?
  3. Bagu

Bagu TS Rookie Topic Starter

I believe its an AMD 1700 XP
  4. SubKamran

It seems to be a problem with your motherboard (not OS).

Make SURE your Mobo supports Athlon XP 1700...
  5. SubKamran

When did this start happening, btw?
  6. Bagu

Bagu TS Rookie Topic Starter

Just last night. I had to rebuild the computer and reformat the HD. I think you're right about the MB though. I might have to go through the utility CD.
  7. Krugger

Krugger TS Rookie Posts: 173

if it worked before then the MB supported it. the bios doesn't get unflashed or anything because of a reformat...
  8. Shiney

Shiney TS Booster Posts: 157

I had same problem with my mobo when i put new cpu in it did not support it, I flashed the bios and its now recognised as a 2000+ although its a 2600+. The system is running fine though.

Perhaps you need an update on your bios ?
  9. SubKamran

What did you do when you "rebuilt" the computer? You may have switched some wires or accidentally hit something...

Krugger is right, a reformat won't do anything. It's something with your BIOS/Mobo. Check your connections!

And also check out the capacitors on your mobo, make sure they have flat tops ;) If they don't, you have a problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.