CPU question

Evening folks.
I’m currently running a Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86Ghz), which I believe is socket 775 and 65Nm. My question is will I be able to replace this with a Dual Core E6800 which is also socket 775 and 65Nm. Later this evening I'll take the side off the pc and see what the motherboard is too, but my assumption is that this won't matter provided I'm replacing the cpu with another of the same shape and type?
thanks in advance
joe

It should work, but if you can tell us the model of motherboard in your computer we might be able to give you a better upgrade option.

Couldn't you just overclock the E6300? (This is, of course, if the motherboard & BIOS allow it). The E6800 is 2.93 GHz, I didn't think they made an E6300 that wouldn't make that clock.

As I said, 2.2GHz to 2.93 isn't all that dramatic. Sometimes the higher clocked, (and therefore higher numbered CPUs of a sequence), have a later release date, and therefore require a later BIOS version.

So, your CPU will obviously run with the BIOS version that you have, and it might be just a matter of a better cooling solution to get to 2.93.

Anyway investigate that further, and give it some thought. BTW, where are you getting the E6800? If it's from the links you posted, you could almost buy a board, memory, and CPU for what you'd be paying for that ancient processor. Again, give the project a bit more thought before you act.

There is actually a new E6800 at 45nm and 3.33ghz.
Not worth the upgrade IMO. Plus, you'll have to re-check your compatibility unless you were planning on getting one of the old E6800's.

Thanks Captain
The BIOs update won't be a problem, I've got all the update software that comes with the board, and failing that I can download the right bits. the 6300 I've got is rated at 1.86 so I'm hoping to see a noticable improvement when I do update.
Won't be getting anything from that link, I just used it for the mboard spec. I've seen the 6800 for about £70 in a few places but I'll search furter before getting it.

I don't think the board can take 45nm, otherwise the new version would be a fine idea. (again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

NO! It will arrive in a shiny box which I won't have to go and collect from 50 miles away because they called when I was out and thats the nearest depot. It will install itself, and then the pc run on pure magic, not only being vastly faster than it was but also making me coffee and muffins whenever I want them.

Oh ok you may be right, but I can't be bothered with updating the motherboard and then having to reinstall OS and things so I'm limited on much more power I can get.

What's the reason you want to upgrade the CPU. Seems to be going from 1.86Gz to 3.33Ghz would be a HUGE improvement depending on your reason for upgrading.

There is actually a new E6800 at 45nm and 3.33ghz.
Not worth the upgrade IMO. Plus, you'll have to re-check your compatibility unless you were planning on getting one of the old E6800's.
Well HK, that's exactly what he's planning to do. Now the issue of "old E6xxx" CPU's vs "new E6xxx" CPUs, always seems to trip you up.

If you would, look at the board's chipset, you'd see it's Intel 965. Now, to the best of my knowledge, NO 965 board supports 45nm CPUs. Feel free to research every one you can think of to prove me wrong. The fact remains, that this one doesn't; http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&model=P9657AA-8EKRS2H&cputype= As you scroll down the page, you'll see such names from a bygone era as, "Celeron D", or "Cedar Mill", and yes, even "Pentium 4 EE". This should be sufficient to convince that Intel 965 has reached "EOL" status, at least with respect to anticipating the "BIOS Fairy", to flutter in with a 45nm update.

And then we have JMMD entering the fray;
What's the reason you want to upgrade the CPU. Seems to be going from 1.86Gz to 3.33Ghz would be a HUGE improvement depending on your reason for upgrading.

Perhaps it would, but read my comments to HK directly above. So, this post is a tad bizarre, based on the fact that HK posts nonsense, and you reinforce it.

Now

Thanks Captain
The BIOs update won't be a problem, I've got all the update software that comes with the board, and failing that I can download the right bits. the 6300 I've got is rated at 1.86 so I'm hoping to see a noticable improvement when I do update.
Won't be getting anything from that link, I just used it for the mboard spec. I've seen the 6800 for about £70 in a few places but I'll search furter before getting it.

I don't think the board can take 45nm, otherwise the new version would be a fine idea. (again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
First see my comments above in this post. Then you too should look at this page; http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&model=P9657AA-8EKRS2H&cputype= If you do in fact, have the board and BIOS version listed on this page, then you needn't do squat, but stuff the new CPU in.

Perhaps it would, but read my comments to HK directly above. So, this post is a tad bizarre, based on the fact that HK posts nonsense, and you reinforce it.
Lol, ok. If it's about any system before p45, I'll refrain.

Exception -> Based on a guess at what the OP is doing, upgrading wouldn't be worth it.
The OP doesn't seem to play games, and probably only uses his computer for browsing and office (OP please comment!). A new CPU wouldn't even help as much as a defrag, assuming the OP has not ever defragged. Else, if the OP is using CPU intensive tasks, a Q6700 would be much better.

Lol, ok. If it's about any system before p45, I'll refrain.

Exception -> Based on a guess at what the OP is doing, upgrading wouldn't be worth it.
The OP doesn't seem to play games, and probably only uses his computer for browsing and office (OP please comment!). A new CPU wouldn't even help as much as a defrag, assuming the OP has not ever defragged. Else, if the OP is using CPU intensive tasks, a Q6700 would be much better.
I'm not sure how far we can steer an OP that hasn't basically stated what he's going to do with the machine.

You're making a lot of sense. However, as soon as you decide to discuss the relative merits of a given CPU vs tasks required of it, the situation becomes unnecessarily complex.

I got the feeling that the E6800 was a "fire sale item", considering its original price.. That said, the 30% increase in clock, should net a 10% overall increase in system performance. Perhaps the OP doesn't have the same access to a Q6600 / Q6700 quad as he does to the C2D, or yeah, possibly hasn't thought about it.

Sometimes it is easier to answer the question as asked, particularly with limited background info. This box, while 4 yrs or so old is EOL, but it is not, "as EOL", as an 845 socket 478 machine, and therefore has quite a bit more life left in it. I say overclock the E6300 which is already in it, after all that would be free. The OP is not comfortable with that, so enter the E6800 (the original one).

This is actually primarily a gaming pc, and my system spec is now struggling to meet the min spec for newer games. I also do the usual internet/office/music/video stuff. I regularly defrag, clean up temp files and that kind of stuff so the computer shouldn't be too cluttered with junk or misplaced files.
According to dxdiag my current BIOS is Phoenix - AwardBIOs v6.00PG.
Hadn't considered a Quad core on the basis that I wasn't aware it could cope with one. I'll look around and see what I can find, but I'm not looking to spend more than about £100 so don't think I'll find a huge amount.
Thanks again for the continued input folks.

You should probably tell us what graphics card you have in your computer.

I went to Foxconn's website, but the system timed out, so I was unable to get any info about what BIOS updates are available for you.

Foxconn has overclocking software available that you could experiment with, as opposed to overclocking in the BIOS.

Your CPU could possibly make 2.4Ghz, without raising the Vcore, (CPU core voltage). That way you could get a feel for what the faster CPU would, or wouldn't do for you.

At the time of the original C2D processors, conventional wisdom had it that most games couldn't take advantage of a quad core CPU. It seems that has changed somewhat, with 4 thread games commonly available. So, that places the quad at least, as worthy of consideration.

That said, the lowly Core 13-540 would eat the E6300, and most likely the E6800 for breakfast. A board, the i3-540, and 4GBs of memory could be brought in for less than $300.00, at least stateside.

There are probably much better cost vs performance deals available should you go with an AMD system.

Just some things to mix in with the rest of your options.

If this will be your gaming pc then I suggest investing in a good video card first. Having a fast CPU is great but it won't dramatically give you higher frame rates for gaming. Your video card will be the work horse that will run your games. AMD has just come out with their 2nd generation DX11 video cards (HD6870 or HD6850) that are fast and affordable ($150-$200).

If this will be your gaming pc then I suggest investing in a good video card first. Having a fast CPU is great but it won't dramatically give you higher frame rates for gaming. Your video card will be the work horse that will run your games. AMD has just come out with their 2nd generation DX11 video cards (HD6870 or HD6850) that are fast and affordable ($150-$200).
Rather than the future possibility of a lengthy thread, titled, "my CPU is "bottlenecking" my graphics card", and all the BS that that would entail, how about if we consider both upgrades, with the CPU being first?

The original C2D E6300 is "yesterdays newspaper" for sure, and could stand a good boot in the backside to get it going, so to speak.

That said, the lowly Core 13-540 would eat the E6300, and most likely the E6800 for breakfast. A board, the i3-540, and 4GBs of memory could be brought in for less than $300.00, at least stateside.
But that only opens the window...you've got to get a decent graphics card and probably a powersupply too. Basically, that's going to entail a complete system refit. Also, microsoft will probably invalidate your OS.
On the other hand, a relatively cheap card+powersupply+overclock would (because the OP is probably using a geforce 5200 or similar.) help a bit more than just a CPU upgrade.

It all comes down to budget and current computer specs...

On the other hand, a relatively cheap card+powersupply+overclock would (because the OP is probably using a geforce 5200 or similar.) help a bit more than just a CPU upgrade.
Listen, I've been suggesting overclocking since the beginning of this thread, please don't hijack the concept.

And here again, we have no idea which VGA our OP is the proud owner of.

And please refer to my post #19, since I don't want to hear about a bunch of " my CPU is bottlenecking the video card" nonsense, if just the VGA would be replaced.

The Core i3-540 was just a reality check, not really a suggestion. Which of course depended on what the OP ultimately must spend on another CPU, after my overclocking talk potentially might have failed.

If I wanted to cause trouble by quoting nonsense, I would of course have quoted this;
Which of course I didn't , since everybody's hindsight is 20/20, both mine and yours.

>>>> OK<<<<<???

graphics card is a Radeon X1550, which given the vintage of rest of my set up shouldn't be the thing holding me back. I'm basically looking at the cpu upgrade as the last on this machine before starting again with a new board in a year or 2, so while I appreciate the advice on mb,cpu,ram bundles its not something I'll be doing this time round.

I'll get hold of the foxconn overclocking software and have a play to see if it does give me something worth talking about.

graphics card is a Radeon X1550, which given the vintage of rest of my set up shouldn't be the thing holding me back.
I rather think it is, in gaming anyway.

Listen, I've been suggesting overclocking since the beginning of this thread, please don't hijack the concept.
Got him convinced now though.

Well. here are the specs on ATI Radeon X1550; http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/other/Pages/x1550-specifications.aspx. They are actually quite dismal as compared to an ATI RAdeon HD483: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desk.../Pages/ati-radeon-hd-4830-specifications.aspx

That being said, the 4830 is obsolete as well, at least to the hard core gaming sect.

So, in point of fact, the video card is likely holding you back as much or more, than the CPU

A dual core CPU isn't quite as susceptible to software bottle necking, as would be a single core such as a P-4.

So, a mild overclock, combined with a video card upgrade, could be workable.

Well given that I came on here asking for advice I'd be stupid to completely ignore it.

Fair enough, it you folks think that's the best route to take I'm game.

Any suggestions for the card? The 4830 doesn't seem to be widely available over here (UK), and those I've seen are in the £70 range, which given that the 5450 only about £50 seems odd.

Back