CPU socket guide for beginners

12johnni

Hi,

I am stuck with a shitty Intel Core i3 530 @ 4.12 GHz, with a stock cooler, on the LGA 1156 platform. It gets near 100 Degrees Celsius, and I am looking to upgrade.

This is where I think I am stuck where a lot of people are. Do I upgrade to Socket 1155, or 1366?

According to a benchmark, http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
the Intel Core i7-2600k is up the top with a horrible naming system, and almost on par in performance with the Intel Core i7 980x, which has 2 more cores.

The 1366 has good SLI performance, with some extreme motherboards like EVGA's 4-Way SLI having Nvidia NF200 chips to create more PCI-E Lanes. Most will do 2-Way SLI or Crossfire with x16/x16 configuration. And you can upgrade to six core CPU's with that X58 platform.

What I am thinking is, for LAN parties, that I build this:

Intel Core i7 950 with any overclock that a low profile CPU cooler can handle at 100% CPU usage (probably none).
EVGA Geforce GTX 580, later SLI if I like global warming.
12 - 24GB Memory, 8 to start with.
EVGA X58 Micro SLI
Apevia Q-XPACK 2
A 1000W PSU with enough 6-pin and 8-pin rails.

It will take me a while to save up with $70 Australian Dollars per day I work, so by that time, do I upgrade to Socket LGA 1356 or LGA 2011 (possibly just a myth). Apparently, they will have PCI-E 3.0 Lanes, and like 40 of them (look at Wikipedia).

The point I make, is that even people like me who love keeping up to date with all of the hardware and technicalities, still find it hard to decide when on a budget. How am I to know, without advice, that if I buy a new computer tomorrow, a new superior socket will not launch offering twice the performance for not a lot more money? The number in the socket name is how many pins, to hopefully, the more, the better. I want more Dual-QPI, or even Quad-QPI availability. Why not make a GPU that fits in? Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit supports up to 256 cores. It would be 100 times faster than a CPU.

So what I want to start is the CPU Socket Guide for Beginners, where people can constantly post advice which people can read without having a Doctorate, and ask questions. So that people can know when new items are coming up and what will suit their needs best. Whether to buy now or wait. The same can go for things like SATA 3.0, USB 3.0, new GPU slots (like PCI-E 3.0), or maybe one day a move on from PCI-E like we did AGP ages ago. So, people, stay here to trade advice on this whole matter or changing compatibilities.

Thanks,

12johnni.

12th December, 2010.

Well mate, that's powerful amount of postin' an' thinkin' you did there.

However, since my crystal ball in in the shop right now, I'm going to suggest that you wait for "Sandy Bridge" and socket LGA 2011 to become available at the consumer level before you make any decision.

In the meantime, you'd better spring for an aftermarket cooler for your i3-530, or you won't have that to insult for very much longer.

Just a note on the specs posted for your LAN party build, I see no reason to get 12-24GB of RAM. 24GB is almost certainly overkill for gaming and 12GB is stretching it pretty far still.

Back