CPU speed wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone.
i wondered if anyone maybe able to help with my problem. i'll give you as much info as possible.
i have had to go back and use an old computer now as my primary and have reinstalled and and such to get to how i want it. the problem i have found is that th CPU since i started to use this is only running at 1.25 ghz.
i know it has been a while since i built and used this computer but im know that the CPU is over a 2ghz
im not the best when it comes to bios setting to change that sort of thing but in the past i have managed by pure blundering to change these things (sometimes having to reset board jumpers)

the CPU is a amd athlon xp (dont remeber what one) (but i know it is for sure over 2 gig)
the mobo is a msi K7N2 Delta series nvidia nforce 2 chipset based
fsb 400
1.25 gig of ddr ram

Basicaly i ned to get the speed back to where is should be for that board and CPU so that i can do the things id like to do with it..

any help will be apprecaited
if we can get this sorted then i'll look at and ECS board and bios problem :)

It would seem the FSB has been reset to 100MHz & simply need to be set back to 166MHz. In order to do so, it's better to look for the manual that came with your motherboard or if you've lost it, download it in PDF format off the manufacturer's website.

I used to use an msi745 ultra mobo and that would reset my fsb to 100 if it didn't post properly, its quite possible the same thing has happened to you. On my old board it was a safety feature so that if i overclocked too far so that it wouldn't boot, it would automatically reset to 100 so it could boot. As Dido says, set it back to 166 or whatever it should be for your cpu and all should be fine.

thanks both didou and rik for your responses
after changing a jumper and a bios setting i stepped it up to 1.67 and then 2.09 gig which if i remeber is the correct speed.. if it wasnt for your answers i wouldnt have gone the direction i did
thanks again.. happy again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back