CPU stain

By Kevin Quinn
Feb 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hey Guys!

I have just recently bought a new i3 processor for my computer and fitted it into my 1155 socket, however I am currently waiting on a new PSU being delivered so the processor has not been used at all yet. After I fitted the processor and the heatsink I checked on it the next day and it was stained even though no power has been supplied to the computer whatsoever since its been fitted, Could anyway tell me whats going on?

Here is a picture

photo (1).JPG
  2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TechSpot Addict Posts: 884   +171

Well, that just looks like your thermal paste being spread out. Probably from the fitting of the HS. There is no problem here. However, I would probably clean and reapply before putting the HS back on.
  3. Kevin Quinn

Kevin Quinn Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok I will make sure to re-apply before I start up thanks for the advice!
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,808   +1,431

Thats not a stain, its thermal compound that bonds the heat-sink to the CPU. I hope you have more thermal compound, because it is best to redo the thermal paste application process every time you remove the heat-sink.
  5. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 3,428   +618

It hasn't explicitly been said: the stain is required. :)
    Shaw23 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.