CPU temp is 80C, measured via Nvidia monitor, is this possible?

Punkbuster

Hey guys,
In the past few days my PC was kept shutting down by it self while I am using it, So I posted this topic https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic156534.html
but no one answered anyway, I figured that it would be good if I check my CPU temp and I downloaded nVidia System Monitor and it showed me that my CPU temp is 80C, TBH I paniced!
WTF??
GPU temp is 49C but CPU is 80C I think it is extremely high, do you?
Also is this the correct measurement or it is an error in the software?
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
Picture:

It's entirely possible, and 80c is quite enough to shut the system down.

Before you do anything else you should check to make sure the heat sink fan hasn't come off the CPU, that the fan is working, and the fins are clean.

You can get a second opinion about the actual temps from several programs, "Speed Fan", and "SIW", (System Information for Windows). If you decide to use SIW, make sure you download the, ""Freestanding English Version". You don't have to install this version, and it's free. Yuo want this version; "SIW Without Installer (English-Only)", from this page; http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Plus, sometimes the motherboard's maker has software available for this purpose also.

You can also use CPUID Hardware Monitor, checks more then just CPU temps. Once you get the temps off another program post them here and let us know what CPU you're using. I also second captain's suggestions, double check to see if the fan is seated correctly, plugged in and working properly.

CoreTemp is another good tool to use.

What CPU are you running?
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz

Also, Last night the temperature of the CPU as measured by nVidia System monitor was 85C so I instantly restarted my PC and enter the BIOS to check the temperature from there and it was 79 so it is pretty accurate!
I guess...

You can also use CPUID Hardware Monitor, checks more then just CPU temps. Once you get the temps off another program post them here and let us know what CPU you're using. I also second captain's suggestions, double check to see if the fan is seated correctly, plugged in and working properly.

I have CPU-z but I can't figure out where the temperature is!
check this out: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1484072

CPU_z does not show temperature. HWMonitor does :).

Max temp for that cpu is 73C so there is definitely a problem.
Did you check for problems as per the captains' post?
It is either full of dust or the fan has stopped working, or the heatsink has come loose.
If you are going to remove the heatsink, make sure you have some thermal compound handy. Old thermal compound should be removed using isopropyl alcohol or some such, before applying a fresh coat.

CPU_z does not show temperature. HWMonitor does :).

Max temp for that cpu is 73C so there is definitely a problem.
Did you check for problems as per the captains' post?
It is either full of dust or the fan has stopped working, or the heatsink has come loose.
If you are going to remove the heatsink, make sure you have some thermal compound handy. Old thermal compound should be removed using isopropyl alcohol or some such, before applying a fresh coat.

I haven't yet, I will open the case tonight since I am a bit busy now, I will reply back with what I find!

I haven't yet, I will open the case tonight since I am a bit busy now, I will reply back with what I find!

I just opened the case and removed the CPU fan and found a 1/4 CM layer of dust that was between the Fan and the heatsink, I removed it and put the fan back, Hopefully this will help!

EDIT: I think it worked, Because I was just playing MW2 and before when I exited the game and measured the temperature it was more than 70 but now its 49 C!

Back