CPU temp too high? Core i7-860 95C at full load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamerjock

I know this is a little nooby, but idle it's around 35-40C and when I'm just on the internet or editing it's around 50-70C. Under a full load it goes very high around 80-95C.
CPU- Intel Core i7 860 OC'd to 3.94Ghz
Any tips on if it is to high.

Max operating temp for the 860 is 72.3C, what monitoring software are you using ?

I'd probably set my clock back to normal until you decide what route you want to take. If temperatures are good at stock speed, then you may consider staying at that speed.

Not sure if you actually used it at stock speed, and found it to slow, or if you just OC'd right away. If you haven't tried it at stock speeds, give it a shot, that's a pretty good chip. If you are satisfied with the speed, then just keep it at stock.

If you're going to upgrade your heat sink, measure your case to make sure you can fit the heat sink. I once bought one without giving it a second thought, and it barely fit, and only after some case alteration.

I'd probably set my clock back to normal until you decide what route you want to take. If temperatures are good at stock speed, then you may consider staying at that speed.

Not sure if you actually used it at stock speed, and found it to slow, or if you just OC'd right away. If you haven't tried it at stock speeds, give it a shot, that's a pretty good chip. If you are satisfied with the speed, then just keep it at stock.

If you're going to upgrade your heat sink, measure your case to make sure you can fit the heat sink. I once bought one without giving it a second thought, and it barely fit, and only after some case alteration.
I have used it at stock speed for about a month and the temps are around 50C under full load, my case is pretty big and I don't think it's the heatsink probably the thermal paste. Next time I go out I'll buy some Actic Silver and see if that was the problem, if it wasn't then I'll get underclock to maybe 3.24-3.5Ghz

Btw, paste won't make much of a difference! Like I said fans are cool and sexy.
The paste on mine is ceramic which is VERY cheap. My CPU is cooled by a H50 liquid cooler, so I'm pretty sure the paste is gonna do some work. I just underclocked for the meantime to 3.2ghz which goes to 62C under full load

62 with underclock is so roflcopter.
Man your room must be hot or something?
Tell us what happens with the temps after you apply the paste!

Can you tell us more about your set up? What case, how many intake and exhaust fans, is there a Fermi card next to the CPU? =)

Ambient temperature also can be huge. Yesterday was kinda warm in my apartment, but I didn't put on the AC. My CPU temperatures soared to 70 degrees. Normally they're at 40.

The paste on mine is ceramic which is VERY cheap. My CPU is cooled by a H50 liquid cooler, so I'm pretty sure the paste is gonna do some work. I just underclocked for the meantime to 3.2ghz which goes to 62C under full load

I wished I waited 5 more minutes before posting.

I have the same setup, the H50. I first used it as intended, stock fan, with the fan acting as intake into the case. My i7 920 at stock was mid 30s, 50s under load. When I overclocked it all the way up to 3.8, the temps pretty much stayed consistently in the low 40s. But if I put the 3.8 on Prime 95 full load, my temps got pretty high, high 70s.

Then I get a pair of Noctua NF-P12s to set it up in a push/pull configuration. I also decided to test it with the fans blowing out. Unfortunately this resulted with core temps being even higher than with a single fan blowing in.

So I reversed the fans, and now they're blowing in, but I also took out some of the side fans at the same time (I have a CM Stacker 830), and now its in the low 40s on stock speed. I ordered a fan controller, so I'm waiting until that comes, and then I'm going to add 3 more exhaust fans, so I'll have 3 (technically 4) blowing in, and 4 blowing out.

I'm hoping once I'm done I'll be at 3.8 right around 40 degrees.

How did you set up the system?

Oh, and I just remembered that some of the reviewers on newegg said that it took about a week for the paste to cure, but I didn't notice any improvement after a week.

Another thing I noticed is that when you're using the radiator fan to blow in, there is no mesh or screen, and both the fan and especially the radiator were clogged with dust when I took it out. This was about after 2 months of use. I'm definitely going to put a screen to keep the dust out. It might lessen the airflow a bit, but having the radiator clogged is probably worse in the long run.

Can you tell us more about your set up? What case, how many intake and exhaust fans, is there a Fermi card next to the CPU? =)

Ambient temperature also can be huge. Yesterday was kinda warm in my apartment, but I didn't put on the AC. My CPU temperatures soared to 70 degrees. Normally they're at 40.
Case: Xion AXP 600
Fans: 2 Intake and 2 exhaust
Temps in my room aren't that high only 65-72F
and by underlock I mean from 3.94Ghz to 3.2Ghz
Stock is 2.8Ghz

Those temps are ridiculously high for a water cooler, something is very wrong.
Hope you applied that thermal paste properly. The i860 with a stock cooler should have better temps at that speed.

Those temps are ridiculously high for a water cooler, something is very wrong.
Hope you applied that thermal paste properly. The i860 with a stock cooler should have better temps at that speed.
Thermal paste should have been applied properly might have been to thick. I'm really positive it was the paste, because it was $2 for three tubes of ceramic crap.

The H50 came with pre-applied thermal grease...did you put more on top of it, or scrape it off and put on your own?

Case: Xion AXP 600
Fans: 2 Intake and 2 exhaust
Temps in my room aren't that high only 65-72F
and by underlock I mean from 3.94Ghz to 3.2Ghz
Stock is 2.8Ghz

Your case is good, your fans setup is good, assuming no tangle of wires inside. Something is wrong with your cooler, either manufacturer defect or installation.

Well, I got my fan controller today, so i hooked up all my fans, have 2 120 mm in front intake, the 2 noctuas push/pulling radiator, 3 side exhaust and 1 side exhaust. I've actually turned down all the fans to minimum except the radiator intake. I then overclocked to 3.8, upping vcore to 1.35.

At idle its around 36, during Prime95 hits high 60s, low 70s, which is an improvement over just one fan.

I'm sure once you reapply the thermal paste your cooling should work properly. Adding the extra fan to the H50 radiator does lower the temps a few degrees.

Well, I got my fan controller today, so i hooked up all my fans, have 2 120 mm in front intake, the 2 noctuas push/pulling radiator, 3 side exhaust and 1 side exhaust. I've actually turned down all the fans to minimum except the radiator intake. I then overclocked to 3.8, upping vcore to 1.35.

At idle its around 36, during Prime95 hits high 60s, low 70s, which is an improvement over just one fan.

I'm sure once you reapply the thermal paste your cooling should work properly. Adding the extra fan to the H50 radiator does lower the temps a few degrees.
Ya I'm going to get a couple more fans also

Ya I'm going to get a couple more fans also

You may look into a fan controller too. I've only had it for a day, but I discovered that the fans pretty much cool the case as well at minimum speed as they do at maximum, and the noise factor has been cut down a lot. The only fans going at max speed are the noctuas, but they're practically silent. When I have some extra cash around (or see a good deal) I may start replacing the rest of the LED fans with noctuas.

Now that I have the air flow optimized in this case, it really lets the H50 shine. I'm running at 1.2 Ghz over stock speeds and the temperatures are essentially the same.
At stock speeds the H50 cooled a bit worse than my V8 cooler, but its when you overclock that it really shows its capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back