CPU temperature (Q6600 @ 3.0ghz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmutz

My processor temperature is reading 68c at idle, and 95-100c+ full load.

I have used two different programs, Core Temp (V. 0.99.4) and Real Temp (V. 3.00)

My computer really doesn't seem to be suffering from this. No stability issues/freezing etc.

Earlier, core temp read -28C in red letters (minus values start after it passes 100 for whatever reason) After seeing this, I shutdown my system and put my hand on the heatsink, which wasn't that hot at all, and cool enough to keep my hand on.

Any ideas what could be happening? All I can think of is that the temperature readings are somehow incorrect. I have also made sure that the heatsink is dust free, and that it is perfectly seated on the CPU.

possibly the sensor has gone bad, because 100c is 212F, dont think you would have your hand on that heatsink for long

Perhaps the thermal paste distribution is causing this (no heat transferred into the heatsink) Is that possible?? That would make sense to me. I only ask before actually checking because I find these heatsinks so tricky to seat correctly. Also, I haven't removed/re-applied thermal paste before

you could check the heatsink but I doubt that is your issue. I recently dealt with a computer with the same issue. older pentium 3. If the temp was correct, I would expect system failure with a pentium processor. In my experience, AMD's allow hotter temp more so than pentium but instead of system crashes, they just fry. I would look into flashing the bios with any current updates and checking the temp again. I use a great program called speedfan. Hope this helps.

No luck yet schmutz?, I have read that to much thermal paste can actually return heat back to the processor, or drip down around the socket and short things out, but obviously thats not what is going on here. what temp reading are you getting from your bios? that usually is the most accurate reading. and they sometimes don't work exactly accurate the other way. check this out I have used 4 different programs and they all are the same.my cpu does run cool, but this is 4 degrees below ambient. anyway I would see what your bios temp reads so you can get a starting point .

Attachments

• HW temp 1.JPG
    HW temp 1.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 7
hey, I've just checked the temperature in bios and get the same result; ~60C, just moments after turning the computer on too. 0 - 60C that quickly seems impossible so I'm going to assume that the sensors are giving faulty readings.

Reflashing BIOS sounds like a solution, but what kind of effect could that have on the OS installation? I cannot risk any form of damage to my computer over the next few weeks as I finish my college work off. If flashing BIOS is safe, I would like to do it to resolve these high temperature readings. My motherboard is "GIGABYTE EP45-DS3R". I've found this support page:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=2842

There are quite a few BIOS revisions to select from, if I am to try flashing my BIOS, which one should I use?

Also, earlier today on GTA IV I discovered that the games performance was relative to the temperature readings in coretemp/everest etc. When I first launched the game it ran at around 50fps, and then slowly decreased to ~20fps. Once the framerate was stuck around this level I alt-tabbed out of the game, and seen readings of 100C+ in monitoring software. I then waited for it to go back down to ~80C, went back into the game and returned to 50FPS for another minute before steadily dropping to ~20fps again.

This does seem like the processor actually IS running at crazy temperatures, but perhaps not. I think that the motherboard is responding to false readings and causing it to slow down automatically. If it is really operating at 100C, I should burn my hand on the heatsink after quickly powering down, and surely it would be damaged by now. My computer must have been in operation at "100C" for over 10 hours now altogether.

So, flash BIOS to lastest version?

this is just my opinion schmutz, but if you have a sensor gone bad, the sensor is bad, and flashing the bios wont help it. 2 flashing the bios has a risk with it, if something goes wrong, you just created a very expensive bookend(not to mention that its a beta). if you were running at 100c your heatsink would be to hot to touch 100c=212F. what is the alarm/shutdown temp set to in your bios? and i wonder why if the bios is reporting 100c its not shutting things down?......im going to check something out to see if i can help and get back to you.

this is just my opinion schmutz, but if you have a sensor gone bad, the sensor is bad, and flashing the bios wont help it. 2 flashing the bios has a risk with it, if something goes wrong, you just created a very expensive bookend(not to mention that its a beta). if you were running at 100c your heatsink would be to hot to touch 100c=212F. what is the alarm/shutdown temp set to in your bios? and i wonder why if the bios is reporting 100c its not shutting things down?......im going to check something out to see if i can help and get back to you.

Thank you red1776. I'll hold off flashing the BIOS for now. Maybe I'll end up getting the motherboard replaced. If I didn't need to use my computer so urgently over the next few weeks I'd be sending it off for inspection tomorrow. All other solutions for the meantime will be extremely valuable though. I can confirm that Videogames ARE reacting to the CPU temperatures being reported, maybe there is something wrong with the "default/start point" temperature value? The sensor does have the capacity to flunctuate in temperature, so at worst the sensor is simply adding (for example) 30C on top of the correct reading.

Just a crazy thought, but I felt like mentioning it on the slight chance that it might be true. If there is a safety setting somewhere which slows down the CPU speed when the temperature readings are too high, then simply disabling that function would solve the problem.

I think your asking about cpu throttling, thats is an power management profile that is for energy saving and it reacts to the need or lack of cpu load. it does produce less heat, but i dont thinkit would help if in fact your cpu was overheating to that extent. its odd if your games were reacting by dropping frame rates, if temps were that high your machine would freeze,hang, produce rrors, or shut down most likely. flashing the bios. you could try re-eating the prossecor and applying thermal compound and see if it makes a difference especially if you recently moved your computer or it experienced any shock from it. if you do, look in the middle cutout section of your cpu socket and look for any areas that look like they had high temps.

I think your asking about cpu throttling, thats is an power management profile that is for energy saving and it reacts to the need or lack of cpu load. it does produce less heat, but i dont thinkit would help if in fact your cpu was overheating to that extent. its odd if your games were reacting by dropping frame rates, if temps were that high your machine would freeze,hang, produce rrors, or shut down most likely. flashing the bios. you could try re-eating the prossecor and applying thermal compound and see if it makes a difference especially if you recently moved your computer or it experienced any shock from it. if you do, look in the middle cutout section of your cpu socket and look for any areas that look like they had high temps.

Games performance is definately reacting to the temperature. I've tested extensively to confirm. It makes sense in my opinion, the components are detecting dangerous temperatures, and slowing themselves down to avoid damage. I have before had CPU heat problems caused by dust build up in the heatsink, and in them cases the computer DID freeze and shut down. That was an AMD 3500+ processor. I am assuming that the Q6600 has technologies that prevent it from getting to that stage, and cause the slowdowns.

I am going to replace the thermal paste tomorrow. After removing my heatsink earlier, I did notice the composition of thermal paste was alarmingly "bumpy" and uneven.This would explain how the heatsink was cool to touch just moments after shutting the PC down - due to poor heat transfer. The only thing that confuses me still is how my processor went from room temperature to 60C (BIOS reading) in just 30 seconds when I first switched my computer on this morning. But if it is possible for a CPU to heat up that fast (...if we assume my heatsink is not supporting it at all), then I am confident it is the distribution of thermal paste causing the problem

hey man check ur haetsink pins(which holding the heatsink),or the thermal paste aint enogh
gd luck

Voltage is 1.296 from what I can see, and I am using the stock heatsink.

BTW, I can now confirm that I am currently using BIOS version 7, so there are 3 more up-to-date revisions available from the support site (and the beta). I will not upgrade unless it is proven beneficial though.

am using a stock heatsink and my cpu's temp is ~25 and ~45 full loaded
as i said chick the pins or bolts or whatever u r using to hold the heatsink on the mobo(mother board)
or check the speed fan program or everest
gigabyte is great,try to go to gigabyte's site,download the important software for ur mobo and try to speed your fan(am sure it's smart fan),to know if it is or not check the bios

I can confirm that the pins are level, and well secured. Also, I will consider updating the BIOS version in a few weeks (after my college work has finished) Since flashing BIOS does have a tiny potential to cause problems

Just replaced the thermal paste and I've dropped down by 20C

Here are my current temperatures:

45-50C idle (Previously 70C)
70-80C load

Not perfect really. I hope that these temperatures will drop further once it has "set". And being the first time I ever replaced thermal paste, I spread it with a thin strip of paper when I now have read that it is best applied in a small strip, and letting the heatsink spread it naturally. Also, I only used cotton to remove the old paste, as it had set into solid "clumps" and just fell off with ease.

For reference I've found the thermal paste I used online here:

http://www.greenpower.com.tw/Products/PC_P...-005/GR-005.htm

Hope it all looks good

hey schmutz, thats a step in the right direction, what was the condition of the old compound? what did the center of your socket 775 look like? and discoloration? thats where the sensor is

hey schmutz, thats a step in the right direction, what was the condition of the old compound? what did the center of your socket 775 look like? and discoloration? thats where the sensor is

To my fortune, it looked fine, no harm done. And that paste has settled in quickly I haven't seen it go past 70C for a few hours now, and that was during an intensive session on GTA IV (I kept alt-tabbing out of the game)

The old compound, as I said was in terrible condition, dry cracked up clay is the best way I can describe it :D All came off easily.

nice move man,that paste helped you ,hope you better temp's
and how did you found gta iv,great,right?

well lucky you..

i recently bought a q6600.. the maximum i can go is like 3ghz

and i have a ocz gladiator max heatsink

i have to go 1.38v just to get it to 3ghz =[

why don't you just invest 20 - 40 bucks on a new heatsink

might as well

yeah performance in GTA IV was exceptionally good, smooth all the way through at around 40fps. Extremely impressive, I used 100 vehicle density and was stunned by how vibrant the city looked. I was disappointed playing it on the Xbox 360 how the city didnt feel "busy" and also how all details (even pedestrian faces) where blurred/compromised to run smoothly on the hardware. Now I have wall to wall traffic and hundreds of pedestrians!

@ nosebleed,

I might consider a new heatsink oneday, but since it's all working good at the moment it doesn't need fixing. I've tried to go higher than 3.0ghz, but it crashes when loading the OS. It's funny that 3.1ghz doesn't load at all, but 3.0ghz is rock solid in terms of stability. I don't even think that a new heatsink would help me achieve a faster overclock to be honest. If I wanted more than 3.0ghz I'd just buy a more capable processor.

true say

but if you keep getting high temps and such, i'd say just keep it 2.4ghz

i regret buying q6600 when I coulda gotten an e8400 but oh well, i like to learn from mistakes

q6600 aint all that bad

i just wish mine coulda oc'd a bit higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back