CPU temperature running high?

By pw2much
Dec 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. My Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 6000+ used to stay between 35c-45c at the most, now it runs between 72c and 82c is there any reason this is happening and should I be seriuosly concerned? also should I just get another cpu or cooler? All solutions excepted.
  2. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,313   +12

I'd take a look at your current cooler and see if it may have busted. You may have a cracked heat pipe or something.

If thermal paste is applied incorrectly, air bubbles can form between the heat sink and CPU and over time can push the paste from out between those two devices.
  3. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

First, distrust your temperature collector... It could be a simple as the temperature monitor going south.
  4. pw2much

pw2much TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 109

Thank You Cinders, you were right on target but it wasn't damaged just dirty as hell! so I took it all apart cleaned the thermal paste off both cpu & heatsink w/fan. took fan off of heatsink to clean the grill under the fan then re-applied the thermal paste and now it's running back down about 34c - 45c.back to normal. P.S. Raybay the temperature program that I use is CoreTemp and it works very well.

This thread is closed or solved!! Thank You for the solutions and suggestions

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.