CPU Temps Need Input AMD Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

I just installed a AMD Athlon64 X2 4000 Socket AM2. Everything is running fine. I used artic silver 5 and have a 120mm fan in the rear. The temp reading on the cpu starts around 50 and most of the time stays at 60. Most of my other builds I am able to keep temps down between 30-42. Is this higher temp because it is dual core?

That's pretty much a normal temp for that processor. What you have to watch out for is when it's under load. If the temps shoot up too high (60 celcius or above) you may be heading for trouble. The stock heat sinks just don't cut it if you're gaming. In addition, you should also add a few other case fans if your case is built to take them. Side and front fans should be for intake, rear fans should be for exhaust. I just upgraded from an AMD AM2 5000+ X2 to a 6000+ X2 and had to add an additional intake fan and swap out my heat sink for a Zalman CNPS 9500, but beware; this thing is a monster. Although it has lowered my core temps by almost 10 degrees celsius, it also takes up an enormous amount of space. If I have to change RAM, it's gotta come off because it covers my DIMM slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back