Dual-core "Intel 300" CPU disappointing benchmarks prove modern games need more cores

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In context: For many DIY PC enthusiasts, dual-core desktop CPUs may appear as remnants of a bygone era, but both Intel and AMD persist in offering entry-level processors equipped with just a couple of cores. The Intel 300 stands out as one of the latest dual-core desktop CPUs on the market, with the company positioning it as a successor to the Pentium Gold G7400.

Intel rebranded the Pentium to be known as the "Intel 300," but gaming benchmarks published by YouTube channel PC Watch suggest that its performance is just as underwhelming as that of the older Pentium chip. The channel tested multiple games with the new CPU and found it unable to match up to slightly more expensive quad-core chips, like the Core i3-14100.

In Cinebench 2024, the Intel 300 notched up a meager 88 points in the single-core test and 216 points in the multi-core benchmark, similar to the older G7400, which scored 84 and 213 points, respectively. These numbers are much lower than the Core i3-14100, which managed to rack up 102 and 490 points, respectively.

With modern DirectX 12 gaming titles demanding multiple cores, the 300 also lagged behind the i3-14100 in gaming benchmarks. In Call of Duty (1080p, RS100%), the Intel 300 achieved a relatively respectable average of 94 frames per second, but the i3-14100 reached a much smoother 153 fps. In Cyberpunk 2077, the 300 could only achieve an average of 56 fps, while the Core i3-14100 notched up a much more impressive 127 frames.

Similar results were observed in other benchmarking tools and third-party apps, including CrossMark, the photo editing benchmark UL Procyon, and Handbrake, all of which once again proved that two cores are just not enough to run most modern applications circa 2024.

The Intel 300 CPU is a Raptor Lake processor that comes with two Raptor Cove P-cores and four threads. It is clocked at up to 3.9GHz, features 6 MB of L3 cache (3 MB per core), and has a 46W TDP. It has an MSRP between $77 and $87, which is a tad lower than that of the $125 Core i3-14100F (with no integrated graphics). However, given the serious performance compromises, you're better off with the quad-core chip if gaming is your priority.

Permalink to story.

Not just gaming either, office products really benefit from 4 cores as well, ideally 6.
You could make a case for dual core being enough for a single use device, like temp monitoring or such like, or kiosk builds not much else though.

Not just gaming either, office products really benefit from 4 cores as well, ideally 6.
You could make a case for dual core being enough for a single use device, like temp monitoring or such like, or kiosk builds not much else though.
Dual cores are still plenty for basic office and browsing. You dont really need 4 cores to write a word document or put a budget table in excel.

My question is how much power does that n300 pull? The pentiums were cool enough they could run without heatsinks.

Yup, we got dual core nonsense 5 years ago for office work...all "mandatory" corporate/windows SW running in the background and you open two excel files and it just dies lol.

The Intel 300 CPU is a Raptor Lake processor that comes with two Raptor Cove P-cores and four threads. It is clocked at up to 3.9GHz, features 6 MB of L3 cache (3 MB per core), and has a 46W TDP.

It's not only core count. It is also pretty low clock and small L3 cache. It's shared btw, not 3 MB per core.

Even his 4c/8t fellow i3-14100F has 2x more L3 cache and 4.7 GHz, I.e. clock alone can contribute up to 20% uplift.

But Real Raptor cove start from i5-14600 with 2x bigger L2 cache per core and 24 MB L3 cache. Ah, and it's clocked @5.2 GHz, I.e. 33% higher than that of Intel 300. This raptor cut down to 2c/4t config can be 50% faster than 2c/4t Intel 300.

---
Look here, if you want to recall how much impact L3 cache can have in gaming

Dual cores are still plenty for basic office and browsing. You dont really need 4 cores to write a word document or put a budget table in excel.

My question is how much power does that n300 pull? The pentiums were cool enough they could run without heatsinks.
Maybe for your granny, not in a corporate environment.
I have first hand experience of this, as has Vauban it seems.

. The Intel 300 CPU is a Raptor Lake processor that comes with two Raptor Cove P-cores and four threads. It is clocked at up to 3.9GHz, features 6 MB of L3 cache (3 MB per core), and has a 46W TDP.
Um. apparently, Intel says, and Mr.Dragonslayer believes, that TDP is 46 watts.

Although, I certainly wouldn't recommend running anybody's CPU without a heat sink. In fact, even the cheapo that comes "free", with Intel CPUs, now has an integrated copper core.

Yup, we got dual core nonsense 5 years ago for office work...all "mandatory" corporate/windows SW running in the background and you open two excel files and it just dies lol.
Well, I can't speak to office work, so I won't try. However, the archaic i3-530 "Clarkdale" system I'm using for the web, works fine and dandy. There are some "gotta haves", to make the system usable.
64 bit OS (Win 7 Pro SP-1)
8 GB RAM
Minimum usable VGA_ Nvidia GT-1030 2 GB.

A 32 bit OS won't work. (insufficient RAM capacity)
Intel IGP of that era, is a huge fail. In fact, even the Skylake IGP, in my i5-6600K doesn't seem to want to give me 2K. (At least via DVI).

Lol it cost more than a 12100f ... what's the point ?
Well, from an editorial standpoint, a writer would be practically compelled to compare current line against current line, which is 14xxx. (Never mind that 14xxx is not much more than 13xxx with new numbers stamped on them).
So, while you're quite correct and very clever for figuring that out, the i3-12100f won't be around forever, now will it?

Why is anyone writing articles about sub $90 CPU's and complaining about their inability to run most games at acceptable performance? No one is calling them gaming CPU's. This is like complaining about an economy car being terrible at towing boats.

Why is anyone writing articles about sub $90 CPU's and complaining about their inability to run most games at acceptable performance? No one is calling them gaming CPU's. This is like complaining about an economy car being terrible at towing boats.
Well, the writer knows full well that everyone responding to the article, has a far better CPU than this Pentium. Accordingly, the article's only conceivable purpose, is to reassure respondents of their virility, and to emphasize their elevated status in the digital hierarchy.

Although conversely, this begs the question, "why would anyone spend more than a hundred dollars for a CPU to come here and listen to this sh!t?" :confused:

Short answer
TechSpot is for
Tech Enthusiasts - Power Users - IT Pros - Gamers
https://www.techspot.com/about/

Log answer (yes, they even reviewed a 2c/2t CPU)
It's been a long, long time since we dedicated a full review to a Celeron processor, but we've been keen to explore the most entry-level Alder Lake CPUs after testing the impressive Core i3-12100F. So we're going right to the bottom of the lineup with the Celeron G6900...
https://www.techspot.com/review/2415-intel-celeron-g6900/

In Call of Duty (1080p, RS100%), the Intel 300 achieved a relatively respectable average of 94 frames per second, but the i3-14100 reached a much smoother 153 fps. In Cyberpunk 2077, the 300 could only achieve an average of 56 fps, while the Core i3-14100 notched up a much more impressive 127 frames.
who uses 2 cores for heavy needs like playing Call of Duty and Cyberpunk..? :dizzy:

You forget how processors are made. They aren't making these on purpose. The aim is to make the silicon wafers for the top of the line of a processor family. The lesser versions are just the defective ones. They lock out the bad cores and sell them as a lesser product.

You miss the point. Anyone using less than a 4 core for gaming, minimum, is pissing into the wind. But there are many non gaming uses where a dual core, even a single core is sufficient. For example I have a 4th gen G3450 on a mini itx platform (running mint) that I still use every day. I first built it as a client for VTT Fantasy grounds, but I now use it for streaming Spotify to my sound system. Gaming isn't the focus of this CPU, that should be obvious...

At work I still use ancient laptop with i3-7200U, and while It runs 4K monitor @30Hz that make Your eyes bleed, It can open 4 instances of Firefox side by side with mailbox, Google docs, cloud based accounting program and one with dozen webpages I read or watch in free time.
But I do use all tricks and apps I can find to disable spying and background activities by OS.

I truly have to question what OS this is designed for, Windows is such a bloated ***** it just eats system resources, I couldn't imagine how terribly slow a dual core CPU would be in this day and age.

I suppose it would be fine for a Linux desktop, or similar mid you.

You forget how processors are made. They aren't making these on purpose. The aim is to make the silicon wafers for the top of the line of a processor family. The lesser versions are just the defective ones. They lock out the bad cores and sell them as a lesser product.
I'm sorry, but I fail to believe that every Pentium 300 is a failed 14900. That just makes absolutely no sense. is the grander scheme of "number of dies per wafer".

I would speculate that a Pentium 300 could be a failed 14100, but that's a lot more reasonable.

"One size fits all", was a massive fail in the clothing industry and I sincerely doubt that, "one size firs all", would work in chip fabrication either..

The number of sales per CPU unit is somewhat predictable, the number of failed 14900s, not so much.

I'm sorry, but I fail to believe that every Pentium 300 is a failed 14900. That just makes absolutely no sense. is the grander scheme of "number of dies per wafer".

I would speculate that a Pentium 300 could be a failed 14100, but that's a lot more reasonable.

"One size fits all", was a massive fail in the clothing industry and I sincerely doubt that, "one size firs all", would work in chip fabrication either..

The number of sales per CPU unit is somewhat predictable, the number of failed 14900s, not so much.
The testing is done at the wafer level before they are packaged into processors, but essentially yes, a P-300 is just a bad wafer that could have been a 14900.

Back