TechSpot

CPU Thermal Issues

By andy06shake
Mar 25, 2009
  1. My E8500 is approaching 110-120c(Real Temp 3.00) when under load(Playing games), is this acceptable or am i going to fry my board and CPU?

2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,909   +91

are you sure that's Celsius? , and if it is its way too hot. did it just start spiking like that?

and why isn't your thermal protection kicking in?

is this a new build, did you just overclock it?, or transport it?. you didn't forget thermal compound did you?

3. andy06shake

andy06shake TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 328

My rig has been running fine for 6 months, i still have the stock intel cooler. I have a freezer pro 7 cooler i can fit. Think it may be needing the fan cleaned/replaced, and some new thermal paste. I dont imagine that the Real Temp reading of 120c has been reached, dont care what Real Temp says. If it did reach these temps wouldent i smell burning? Or the cpu would melt to the mainboard? Thermal Protection is enabled in my Bios. Fan Speed is around 2500rpms

4. redk

redk TS Rookie Posts: 135

Sounds like you need to do two things.
    #1. Remove and clean the heat sink and fan, they're probably full of dust.
    #2. Remove the thermal paste on the HS with high percentage rubbing alcohol, and apply some new thermal paste. I suggest Arctic Silver 5, which should be found for less than $10 a tube.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.