Cpu too hot. Tried everything

So I have a case with a desktop (not mine) where the cpu just doesn't want to cool down.
When I was called for help I was told that the system was rebooting unexpectedly.
I suspected cpu high temps and my suspicions confirmed as I entered bios in hardware monitor.
The cpu temp was 80 degrees Celsius.
Same reading I was getting on speedfan and coretemp in windows. And that was in idle. I ran prime95 for 1 min and the temps went well above 100.
So I replied thermal paste (AS5) - no significant result.
I tried hegrease extreme - not better.
I checked if the cooler was sitting properly and it seemed ok.
I even bought a new cooler just to be sure (Arctic alpine plus with pre applied Mx4) - temps actually went up.
I reduced the frequency multiplier to drop the cpu speed form 2.4 Ghz to 1.8 - Still temps were not bellow 80 degrees at idle.
I suspected faulty chip temp sensor. So I opened the case to actually feel the cooler temp and I realized I was not able to touch the cooler for more than 2-3 secs. It was HOT and that was not a lie. That was also a good indication that the heat sink was in contact with the cpu.
I looked around some bios settings and I could not find anything suspicious.
So am I dealing with a faulty cpu here or is there anything else wrong? Can actually a cpu get damaged in such a way that it won't cool down? Cause otherwise it was working good.
Cpu is
http://ark.intel.com/products/27250/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6600-4M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB
Sorry but I don't have other parts info.

Last edited:
ghbgeo - the rebooting you mentioned is likely bad RAM modules, if you have spare RAM you might swap them to check.

Generally if a PC is overheating you will see a message in post explaining that the PC is shutting down due to overheating. Once you get the rebooting under control, you can confirm if the CPU temps are the problem.

I myself have not heard of a PC running too hot due to damage, mostly the overheating is due to lack of good airflow.

Good luck

Well in all honesty one of the first things I would check under these circumstances is the voltage settings and compare to what is normal. It could be the board is over volting the CPU if the heatsink is getting hot as well.

+1 to all the above posts.

Check theres no dust, dirt or obvious damage to the socket or cpu.

Well in all honesty one of the first things I would check under these circumstances is the voltage settings and compare to what is normal. It could be the board is over volting the CPU if the heatsink is getting hot as well.
Vcore was about 1.454 V according to bios which is within the 1.5 V limit of this cpu. Also a clean the socket and the cpu pins with an airduster bottle. Didn't seem to have any damage.
I suspect if any pins were damaged there would be operational problems with the cpu which (besides the overheating issue) there weren't any.

What was the speed of the fan? (above 2000rpm?)
Speed was above 2k RPM. both on the old and the new cooler. Physical inspection was also made and fan was spinning flawless. After all I bought a new cooler just to make sure that this part was working ok.

Vcore was about 1.454 V according to bios which is within the 1.5 V limit of this cpu. Also a clean the socket and the cpu pins with an airduster bottle. Didn't seem to have any damage.
I suspect if any pins were damaged there would be operational problems with the cpu which (besides the overheating issue) there weren't any.

I think ive found the problem...But it depends where you are viewing this (Software or Bios).

The Stock Vcore for a E6600 if I am remembering correctly is around 1.3 range, 1.4 seems very high...

Edit: Yea according to this forum the average stock is 1.325. if your cpu is set to 1.454 then its way getting over volted which is causing the extreme temps. Just because it can handle up to 1.5 does not mean it can without proper cooling. Try going into the bios and either updating it or force setting it to 1.325 in the bios and then running prime95.

Last edited:
If autovoltage gives you 1.45v that's way too high your motherboard shouldn't be doing that.
On the other hand 1.45v isn't too terribly high that you'd overheat within a minute. For example I'm running near 1.45v on a weak cooling system but my CPU is a good bit more efficient.

I think ive found the problem...But it depends where you are viewing this (Software or Bios).

The Stock Vcore for a E6600 if I am remembering correctly is around 1.3 range, 1.4 seems very high...

Edit: Yea according to this forum the average stock is 1.325. if your cpu is set to 1.454 then its way getting over volted which is causing the extreme temps. Just because it can handle up to 1.5 does not mean it can without proper cooling. Try going into the bios and either updating it or force setting it to 1.325 and then running prime95.

Didn't realize that. Will try and let you know.

Last edited:
Ok. Problem solved. It was the voltage. Was set at 1.53 volts!!! Set it to 1.325 (H/W monitor reads 1.25V now) and temps went down to 55 idle up to 70 (prime 95).
Can't blame the cpu...
Thanx everyone who responded.

Ok. Problem solved. It was the voltage. Was set at 1.53 volts!!! Set it to 1.325 (H/W monitor reads 1.25V now) and temps went down to 55 idle up to 70 (prime 95).
Can't blame the cpu...
Thanx everyone who responded.
Glad it's resolved!

Back