Delidding Intel's Core i9-14900K can drop CPU temperatures by up to 12°C

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Delidding is not for the faint of heart, nor is it for those that can't afford to replace their CPU. For starters, it'll void your warranty and if something goes wrong, it'll be up to you to come up with a replacement. But if you're willing to accept those risks and are interested in squeezing the most performance out of a chip, it's a proven technique to shave a few degrees off the top.

Intel's newly launched Core i9-14900K CPU has found its way to der8auer's test bench for a quick operating temperature evaluation (and mostly to determine if his delidding tools are compatible with the new chip).

The hardware enthusiast did everything in his power to ensure a level playing field including implementing a fixed CPU clock speed of 5.6 GHz on the P cores and a Vcore of 1.39. He also set the 360mm AIO cooling system's fan speed to around 2,000 RPM, and changed the water pump to a balanced profile. A 7600 XMP profile was also utilized across all runs.

Cinebench R23 was run with the CPU unmodified, and temperatures were recorded at an average core load of 93.1 degrees C. Der8auer's delidding tool made quick work of the heatspreader, and he was able to lap the core, apply liquid metal, and reseat the heatspreader without incident.

Back up and running, he recorded an average maximum P core temperature of 83.2 degrees C. Using a Thermal Grizzly contact frame, he was able to bring the average temperature down to 81.5 degrees C.

Der8auer said he was surprised by the findings because in earlier experiments (like with the Core i9-13900K), temps with liquid metal and the original IHS reapplied were not very good.

Your results will likely vary depending on a several factors including the quality of lapping job, whether or not you use a contact frame, your cooler and thermal paste of choice, and whether or not you reinstall the IHS or decide to install a direct die cooling solution.

Permalink to story.

I'd love to see some under-volting results. I've seen 13900 results from under-volting and they look promising.

How is the info in this article news to anyone? Direct die contact cools better? Noooo.. Really? /s

I'd love to see some under-volting results. I've seen 13900 results from under-volting and they look promising.
Silicon lottery is, of course, going to be a factor with undervolting. There should be at least some wiggle room.

Why would anyone buy a CPU that is drawing so much power, throttles without having literally the best possible cooling system, needs to be delidded because of it and is not really not that much faster than it's counterpart or even it's last gen equivalent at best? Oh, and you'll need a new motherboard for the next gen.

How is the info in this article news to anyone? Direct die contact cools better? Noooo.. Really? /s
As far as understand it, direct-die is not the surprise here. Replacing the standard paste with liquid metal and resettling the heatspreader gives a 10C difference. Direct-die only gives <2C extra on top of that.

Quite a few years ago I made up a chiller out of two 40watt peltiers for my water cooled system which worked only on my CPU and NOT the GPU.

The whole thing just sat on the top of my case and was reasonably compact. The only drawback was the noise from the two 90mm high speed fans (3,800rpm) I used to conduct the heat away from the copper heatsinks I used.

It worked rather well. As you are probably aware peltiers are not the most efficient method of generating cold water. When I tested my system I found a temperature reduction of 5 degrees C. I did end up installing a speed control switch on the fans however, at the lower fan speed, the efficiency dropped quite a bit.

The way these companies use moolah on research and technologies to lower power consumption in todays cpus, why dont they bother with low hanging fruit, like a better ics and paste?

Back