CPU Upgrade Need Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudezer88

I'm looking to upgrade my cpu in the next few weeks/month. My A64 X2 4000 is feeling a little sluggish these days.

I do a lot of gaming, photo editing (Adobe CS3), 2D and 3D Autocad 2008, might do some 3DS Max rendering in the future.

I currently have an Athlon 64 X2 4000 Brisbane at 2.5 Ghz, 2 gigs of solid patriot ddr2 800 4,4,4,12, an X1950XT 256mb.

I've been toying with quad vs dual core (q6600 vs e6750) or waiting for Penryn to be back in stock, which is supposed to be soon right? Does anyone know when Intel is supposed to be shipping more units? All I could find is they will be available Jan 08, which they were, but not anymore.

I've been feeling slowdowns mostly in Crysis of course, but also when working with large image files in Photoshop, and complicated solids in Autocad.

I've been kind of overwhelmed by all the choices out there so any suggestions are appreciated, and if anyone feels I would benifit more from upgrading different components let me know.

I have a budget of about $500 and I don't intend to run the cpu I get at stock speeds, at least not after the first few months. Any help is appreciated, Thank You.

The Penryn is an intermediate stepping stone to newer CPUs in the year or so ahead. I'd say keep saving the $500 until the right time, or you'll still be behind the 8 ball in technology.

I only have a 3400+ AMD 64. I could run a dual core in my 939 socket, but I am not sure about investing heavily into that. Quad cores are the best current option, of course. I may get a dual core on a budget if one comes along

you could grab an E8400 and a nice Motherboard for under $500 bucks and have a nice system that will not let you down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back