CPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
Been doing some research on upgrading my CPU. I have a MS-7093 motherboard, currently with a AMD Athlon 3500+. Apparently, im able to put a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - ADA4200DAA5CD on this board ( http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - ADA4200DAA5CD (ADA4200CDBOX).html ). However, before I go ahead and do that, what do i need to know about the heat sink, fan, and power supply? Will the original components from the 3500+ do? Or, will I need to buy new stuff for the 4200 x2?

Many thanks
Tom

It would really help if you could post the detailed specs of your current PC. Also, what exactly would you be using this PC for (gaming / office)?

Hi, its a custom PC, so there isnt really a model number for it. Basicly, its about 5 years old, amd athlon 3500+ venice chip, been upgraded to 2.75 gb of ram, 1 gb ati radeon video card, and the motherboard is a ms-7093 as i listed previously. Basicly, as i have said in a previous post on this board, im looking to upgrade as cheaply as possible, to hopefully give the pc another couple of years of life. I've found some used cpu's going cheap, the one i listed above is one, and it supposedly will fit the board, being a socket 939 chip. So basicly, is this feasible? I can't tell you anything at the moment about my power supply or cpu fan, ill have to open up the system for that, but being 5 years old, at a guess, will these components also need replacing?

Its a home pc, so it really needs to do a bit of everything. Gaming would be nice, but its not the be all and end all, though id want to potentially be able to run any modern titles decently.

Hello Tom, the Processor Upgrade that you speak of would be fine but do a Repair install of Windows after you upgrade. Knowing how good you PSU is would be a good start also. You'll also need some Thermal Compound which is pretty cheap. (Depends on the stuff you get tho.)

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=85&name=Thermal-Compound-Grease

don't buy Thermal Epoxy (I think that's what it's called) You'll never be able to pull the CPU from the Heatsink.

(I'm working on learning a bit more about PSUs atm so be nice guys.)

Thanks Magaman, really appreciate that! Im going to take a look inside the computer perhaps tomorrow, ill have a look at the PSU and post back here with what I find. Thanks for your help!

Tom

I think the AMD Athlon FX 60 would be the best Socket 939 CPU IMO. BTW, what is your budget?

Ritwik, the last time I saw the prices of the FX Chips, they were between $500-$1000.(They've probably gone down considerably by now.)But if you have the money, I'd go for a Dual-Core for Socket 939.

Ritwik, the last time I saw the prices of the FX Chips, they were between $500-$1000.(They've probably gone down considerably by now.)But if you have the money, I'd go for a Dual-Core for Socket 939.
AMD Athlon FX 60 is a dual core...

@ magaman598 - As hk points out, the FX 60 is a dual core. As for its present price / availability I have no clue. But if it's that expensive then the OP might as well build a new system. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back