TechSpot

Cpu upgrade

By disciple
Aug 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My motherboard is a P4M8907MA-KRS2H which has a P4 650 socket 775. What would be my best CPU upgrade as i am not sure.
  2. KingCody

KingCody TS Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

there isn't much you can upgrade to. the best processor you can use on that board is a Pentium-D 960. it would be better because it's dual-core, but per core it's not much faster than what you already have.

a Core2Duo would run circles around a Pentium-D, and prices on C2D's have come way down recently. My advice is to stick with your P4-650 until you're ready to upgrade to a newer platform

cheers :wave:
  3. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

bear in mind that although both are socket 775, your board is NOT compatible with the Core2Duos. I thought I'll just mention that in case.

Good news is that you might get away with investing in a new motherboard, and reuse everything else (assuming your graphics card is PCIe, which should be).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.