CPU upgrading questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiders

i had some questions baout upgrading cpus, first i was wondering if swicting from a 1.6 intel duo core proc' to AM3 DUAL CORE X2 250 3.0GHZ PROCESSOR is a Huge difference, and how much a difference it would make, currently the 1.6 can company of heroes and full settings well, but i think thats its limits, can this new processor run newer games such as, crysis? and I am buying a new mobo to fit the processor since obvouisly its incompatible with intel, i was wondering if there is ANYTHING i should know about switching mobos, like if something could be incompatible with another, or are amd and intel mobos all made the same? lenghty question but thank you for any answers and please excuse the horrible spelling

Well....

You could start by reading this; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html

Beyond that there are 3 current Intel sockets,; LGA775 (all c2d Celeron, Pentium dual core and current Core2 Quad chips, LGA1156 (core i5, (core i3 to be released),
and LGA1366, which is high end Core i7.

I know squat about AMD, and I'm not willing to learn for you.

Well, I know this, you can't put an AMD in an Intel motherboard. But see, you already knew that.

So, you could only upgrade directly with an Intel CPU. As to compatibility, you would decide on a CPU, then visit your motherboards' website, and search CPU compatibility charts specific to your particular board. The charts will tell you if the CPU you've selected would be "plug and Play". or require modification via a BIOS update. You could obviously research this in reverse by picking the board first and reading the same list.

For your rambling question about, "are all boards created equal", don't believe it, it's a myth about men and motherboards.

The rule of thumb is that the later the date of manufacture, (or release), the more CPU are generally compatible with any given board.

Depending on which motherboard you have, it may be possible to achieve a performance boost through "overclocking" your processor.

Since gaming performance depends a great deal more on which video card you have, you could always overclock a bit, and upgrade your video card. For this you should also consider upgrading the power supply.

lenghty question but thank you for any answers and please excuse the horrible spelling
About the spelling, verily I'm on board with your assessment of horrible. In "lengthy", the "t" goes before the "h", but in fairness you had all the letters right.
As to "upgradeing", we almost always drop the "e" before adding "ing". If you want to agonize over spelling, (personally I enjoy doing so), make sure spell check is turned on in Firefox. Oh, the "U" should be capitalized, because it's in the title, not to mention it's the first word in the "sentence".

Did any of this help?

"...swicting from a 1.6 intel duo core proc' to AM3 DUAL CORE X2 250 3.0GHZ... would require a change in motherboards. With that sort of changes, you will see differences... but I would want to change to an X3 instead of an X2.

It is possible that windows will dislike your new hardware.

I think keeping your motherboard would be better, after all, why would you change your motherboard and processor instead of just upgrading your processor?

At captaincranky: Do you get tired of pointing out flaws in seemingly everything you read here?

At captaincranky: Do you get tired of pointing out flaws in seemingly everything you read here?
For the sake of brevity....,NO!

and please excuse the horrible spelling
HK, our OP apologizes for his horrible spelling.

So, I endeavored to assist with the mistakes. Now, I don't have any way of knowing if this is sincere and Spiders would like help with the problem, or is apologizing in a manner of tacitly stating that we should live with it. What do you think? Not that I care.

Probably the latter, after all, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the proper spelling, but it's still easier to acknowledge bad spelling and leave it.

Ok, it would be alot easier and cheaper to replace the CPU instead of the whole motherboard, I just wasn't to sure if I could, I think that is the route i will go, I downloaded SiW and found the socket to be 775LGA, and will work to re-socket the CPU since it is alot cheaper. I just wasnt to sure if it could be removed, I have never attempted to even look underneath the fan and heatsink, so I am not sure if it can be... considering I am new at that I am entitled to ask... can all CPU's be removed? or are some permanently attached to the motherboard? If it can be detached would I see it Immediatly?
Here is the relevant motherboard info...

North Bridge: Intel P35/G33/G31 Revision A2
South Bridge: Intel 8280 1IR (ICH9R) Revision A2

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
CPU Socket: Socket 775 LGA

All CPUs Can Be Removed.....

Please download this program SIW (system information for Windows) ; http://www.gtopala.com/ Make sure you get the "standalone English version"!

There is no need to install the program, it's an ".exe" (executable file). Just run it off the desktop. It will answer all your questions, and you can even monitor the hardware sensors.
Ok, it would be alot easier and cheaper to replace the CPU instead of the whole motherboard, I just wasn't to sure if I could, I think that is the route i will go, I downloaded SiW and found the socket to be 775LGA, and will work to re-socket the CPU since it is alot cheaper. I just wasnt to sure if it could be removed, I have never attempted to even look underneath the fan and heatsink, so I am not sure if it can be... considering I am new at that I am entitled to ask... can all CPU's be removed? or are some permanently attached to the motherboard? If it can be detached would I see it Immediatly?
Here is the relevant motherboard info...

North Bridge: Intel P35/G33/G31 Revision A2
South Bridge: Intel 8280 1IR (ICH9R) Revision A2

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
CPU Socket: Socket 775 LGA
This is not really the relevant motherboard information. Off the top the manufacturer or the board model number are not present.

A board can't be "P35, G33, G31". That's only the basic chipset family. It can only be onr of them. "In the end there can be just one", or so they say.

You graphics card, is fairly high end.

The Intel E2xxx series CPUs are notoriously GOOD for overclocking,

Most boards from the series you mentioned have BIOS updates available to run the newer 45nm Intel "Wolfdale C2D processors. (current line)

Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model: Benicia
Version: 1.01
Serial Number: X312345678

So I could run a
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 Processor?

You graphics card, is fairly high end.
Red flag!

The Intel E2xxx series CPUs are notoriously GOOD for overclocking,
Since he has a 4870, I would think at least an E5300, also a great overclocker. Even better the higher end wolfdales are still pretty cheep.

So I could run a
Sorry, actually couldn't find anything on this, could you be more specific like:
ASUS P6X58D Premium ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

hmm well that is all the info SiW gave me on my motherboard, and I bought it off-market so I couldnt find any more information about without the use of some other program or the such

So I could run a

The E7500 is very new, to run it would almost certainly require updating the computer BIOS.

Since we're talking about replacing the processor anyway, it would make sense, (if only to me), to try overclocking the one you already have. This would obviate any potential problems or limitations of your current CPU heat sink fan.

As a replacement you could also look into the Pentium E6300. (runs @ 2.8 Ghz stock) It's a Wolfdale, and also has Virtualization capabilities, and it's 30 bucks (give or take) cheaper than the E7500.

"Benecia" is likely a marketing code name, and probably applies to a series of similar chipset boards, not just one. (As does "Wolfdale" with respect to CPUs)

This is the info SIW drags up for the motherboard of the computer I'm using right now;

Property Value
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model D915GAG
Version AAC87709-301
Serial Number BQAG44429708

North Bridge Intel i915P/i915G Revision B1
South Bridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 3 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

As you can see, it does give the model number of the board. Of what relevance this is, I make no claims, express or implied.

Red flag!

Yes, but "you" isn't misspelled, it's just not the possessive pronoun (your) I was intending.

"Benecia" is likely a marketing code name, and probably applies to a series of similar chipset boards, not just one. (As does "Wolfdale" with respect to CPUs)
Still don't really know what motherboard he has, not even a chipset.

I just read your original post, yes upgrading your processor would make a huge difference since it is definitely holding you back gaming wise.
And overclocking it could be a good idea too, all E2xxx series processors are good overclockers.

ok a e6300 will probably be the way to go, since I am not sure how to overclock my cpu, I tried looking into it once off advice from techspot members, but my bios doesnt seem to let me overclock, or I didnt look hard enough... and as for the bios update, that would require something from the manufactuer or cost money in some aspect, if not alot of time and some expertise?
but I am assuming the way you talk about it the cpu in my motherboard CAN be tooken out and replaced, becuase that is my biggest concern at the moment.

Once you get it nailed down as to which board you actually have, Asus has software that can accomplish OC'ing from inside Windows.

I would still attempt this first. Some people have better luck than others with updating a BIOS. There is a degree of risk involved. The BIOS would almost certainly need updating to run any 45nm CPU, since it sounds like you've had the comp for a while.

A quick Google search sort of suggests that "Benecia" is a "Compaq" model name or relates to that board in Compaq computer . (.) or (?) or (!) http://www.google.com/search?client...sus+"Benecia"+motherboards&btnG=Google+Search

well I am going to try cpu-z to get the motherboard info since SiW cant seem to determine it exactly, hopefully then I can figure out what I could do next. unfortunatly it will take 2 days to post a reply to this thread since library is closed on sundays.

Is this a "built" computer or a "bought" (brand name) computer? It's odd that you can't get good info from SIW! I have 4 machines in the house and it returns full data on all of them, again, (.) or (?) or (!) The info I posted was from an Emachines. Anyway, go ahead and give CPU-Z a try, and get back to us.

captaincranky said:
A board can't be "P35, G33, G31". That's only the basic chipset family. It can only be onr of them. "In the end there can be just one", or so they say.

Hey Cap! It seems we have a slight problem here! :p

Holy S***, What an Unforgivable Blunder.....I'm such a Doosh Bang

Thank God I'm not Japanese, or It would be Hari-Kari for me. At least let me burn my keyboard.

That said, I'm fairly sick of trying to decipher the crap you people attempt to pass off as communication in English. Insert the "flipping the bird emoticon" here; >> <<

Oh, also a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, and extend my best to Ritwiks 1 through 6 as well. :haha: :wave:

I bought this comp "built"

I found a little more info on my motherboard, I found a site that can identify motherboards based on bios types, here is the bios info

American Megatrends, AMI BIOS

BIOS Revision: v5.19 01/31/08
Core Version: 08.00.14

Product: GX624AA-ABA
Model: a6303w
Serial: MXF81101G5

when I typed in the model numbers "a6303w" it came up with

Motherboard
Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: IPIBL-LB
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Benicia-GL8E

It appears to be my motherboard, as far as I can tell based on the information, though it physically looks a little different.

so my questions are, if it is it...
1) Can the CPU be removed?
2) Can the motherboard support the e7500? if not the e6300?
3) Will this require a BIOS upgrade? (current version is listed in BIOS info)
4) Where can I get the "flash" BIOS update? (if answer to question 3 is "yes")

I hope this is actually my motherboard, I have downloaded a AMI motherboard scanner to confirm. will get back later

No actually I think this computer is bought rather than built. What captaincranky meant was did you or someone else build the computer, or was it simply bought out of a store fully assembled.

Anyway this looks like your computer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...21&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3652954&lang=en with details on the motherboard here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212

1) Can the CPU be removed?
Yes

2) Can the motherboard support the e7500? if not the e6300?
CPU/Processor
Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Intel Core 2 Quad (Yorkfield core) Q9xxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfsdale core) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (Kentsfield core) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (Conroe core) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (Conroe core) up to E4400
I would think the page simple isn't updated enough to include the E7000s as they should also be supported with the E8000s, the E6300 would be a great choice in my opinion.

3) Will this require a BIOS upgrade? (current version is listed in BIOS info)
Likely not, I don't even think they provide BIOS updates for such motherboards.

Intel Pentium E6300 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E6300 - Retail

Actually you know what, the motherboard specification sheet is actually talking about the old E6300, with a slower conroe core...hmm in that case i'm not so sure, at least they are supporting 45nm wolfdale cores in the E8000.

You might want to directly ask HP to make sure, or just go with a more expensive E8400.

I don't think you can download a BIOS update directly from HP.
If you have "HP Software Update Tool" installed then this utility will automatically find the latest updates, drivers, firmware and BIOS for you.
If you do not have it installed then you can install it manually from the HP site.
In theory there is little difference between E7xxx and E8xxx CPU's. Thermal specifications and voltage requirements are the same. Differences beings FSB ( 1066 / 1333) and L2 cache.
It is also likely that Q8xxx CPU's would also be supported.
Before making an expensive mistake you might want to check the release notes that accompany any updates, or get in touch with HP Support to confirm, or at least clarify the CPU support list.

Note for captaincranky:
"Thank God I'm not Japanese, or It would be Hari-Kari for me"

Would that be Harry Carey the former baseball commentator or Hara-Kiri, a ritual form of Seppuku?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back