TechSpot

cpu usage

By Grizwold
Sep 30, 2004
  1. All of a sudden all testing programs report that I am experiencing 100% cpu usage. I have searched with all my might,tried trial & error & prayed a little but I cannot locate the cause of this problem. Any ideas boys & girls?:confused:

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

What do you mean by testing programs? Can you please elaborate further?

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Do you have CPUIdle installed? That gives a 100% CPU-usage, but is effectively keeping it cool at its lowest power.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

If you open your task manager to the processes tab which one(s) does it say are taking lots of time?

5. Grizwold

Grizwold TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Nope, no cpuidle installed. The programs I have tested with are PCPitstop; Freeram Pro; Fixit Utilities Sys Monitor; & Windows 98se own system monitors to name a few. There are some wildcats that I've forgotten the names of. I have absolutely no idea where to find the task manager that you speak of LNCPapa. I've also run my Norton antivirus repeatedly along with my SpyBlaster & SpyAssassin. I know I'm kinda dense but what am I missing?

6. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Press "CTRL"+"ALT"+"DEL" to launch the task manager.

7. Grizwold

Grizwold TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Oh, okay Young & Wild. I know about that process but I didn't know that it was called "task manager". It tells me what programs it knows of that are running but not how much cpu usage they are producing. I have turned these off one by one but still get the 100% usage report. Thanks for the tip anyway!

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,357   +283

If you're running Win98 then you won't get a process manager from Task Manager. To be honest with you there's not much I remember about Win98. :(

9. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

D/L and run this shareware program (with a free trial period)
    Super System Helper 1.00

http://www.soft32.com/download_75683.html

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.