TechSpot

cpu usage

By Grizwold
Sep 30, 2004
  1. All of a sudden all testing programs report that I am experiencing 100% cpu usage. I have searched with all my might,tried trial & error & prayed a little but I cannot locate the cause of this problem. Any ideas boys & girls?:confused:

2. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

What do you mean by testing programs? Can you please elaborate further?

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Do you have CPUIdle installed? That gives a 100% CPU-usage, but is effectively keeping it cool at its lowest power.

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,197   +420

If you open your task manager to the processes tab which one(s) does it say are taking lots of time?

5. Grizwold

Grizwold TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Nope, no cpuidle installed. The programs I have tested with are PCPitstop; Freeram Pro; Fixit Utilities Sys Monitor; & Windows 98se own system monitors to name a few. There are some wildcats that I've forgotten the names of. I have absolutely no idea where to find the task manager that you speak of LNCPapa. I've also run my Norton antivirus repeatedly along with my SpyBlaster & SpyAssassin. I know I'm kinda dense but what am I missing?

6. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 993

Press "CTRL"+"ALT"+"DEL" to launch the task manager.

7. Grizwold

Grizwold TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 18

Oh, okay Young & Wild. I know about that process but I didn't know that it was called "task manager". It tells me what programs it knows of that are running but not how much cpu usage they are producing. I have turned these off one by one but still get the 100% usage report. Thanks for the tip anyway!

8. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,197   +420

If you're running Win98 then you won't get a process manager from Task Manager. To be honest with you there's not much I remember about Win98. :(

9. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

D/L and run this shareware program (with a free trial period)
    Super System Helper 1.00

http://www.soft32.com/download_75683.html

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.