CPU versus video card for gaming

By keecher
Sep 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Alright, so I am looking at building my own gaming computer on a relatively low budget, and I want it to be able to play games such as Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (when it's finally released obviously) smoothly, but not necessarily on the highest settings. The processor and video card I am looking at are:

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

I'm not sure how good of a graphics card and CPU I need, so does anyone know if these will work well for my needs? How powerful of a processor do I need if I am adding a decent video card? Any information is appreciated.
  2. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,219   +157

This is going to sound weird, but in general (and assuming you are playing at 1920 x 1080 or under) I would go with the CPU upgrade to a quad. Most new releases are using 4 cores, some six. oddly enough the game you mention specifically (StarCraft II) uses only 2 cores, but does not run well on your CPU. It needs more memory bandwidth and L3 cache as spelled out here by TS's own Steve Walton.
  3. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Posts: 567   +25

Yea go with the I5-2500K and that 6850 will handle starcraft at medium to high settings but i have heard that diablo 3 is more hardcore so maybe think about a 6950