CPU Voltage For Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

Hello everyone.

I recently overclocked my Phenom II X3 720 to 3.5GHz from the stock 2.8GHz using the AMD Overdrive Utility. Then I had increased my CPU VID to 1.4875V from 1.325V. I ran the stability test for an hour and all seemed stable enough.

However, I can't seem to be getting stable at 3.6GHz unless I increase the CPU VID to 1.525V. Is this voltage level too high / dangerous. Could there be any ill-effects?

Also, I read that I could keep the CPU VID to 1.325V and just increase the CPU Extra Over Voltage to a value of 0.2V to get a total of 1.525V. As soon as I did this and set my multiplier to 18X (3.6GHz) I got a BSOD without any delay. Did I understand or do something wrong?

I would also like to know if a 1 hour AMD Overdrive Stability Test is enough to test the stability of the OC.

Note : I had once managed to have my system stable at 3.6GHZ / 1.5V after many attempts. But that doesn't seem to happen any more.

Sorry for the long post. Would be grateful for any help and suggestions. I'm attaching a screenshot of the AMD Overdrive Utility.

Thank you.

Attachments

• OCSettings.JPG
    OCSettings.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 5
All cpus arent equal. 1.53volts in quite a bit unless you have a really good cooling unit. I hope you're not trying to do this on a stock cooler.

We agree with Supersmashbrada...
When you boost the voltages and all related, you must have the very best cooling... extra case fans, as well as a superior CPU cooler. Or your goose will be cooked way too soon. I would re-think the power supply as well... you want no weak links.

Hi guys. I have an OCZ Vendetta II in a CoolerMaster CM690 case. The max temps on load are 38-40C. :)

BTW, I have a Cooler Master Extreme Power Duo 600W PSU.

I just wanted know whether the voltages will be a problem, as the temps seem fine.

Great temps. If those continue, and your sensors are ok, you have nothing to worry about... but if you are a gamer, check them a few times during play.

I'm guessing my sensors are OK. So you say that 1.525V is good to go? Also, any tweaking necessary with RAM speeds? I have a 2 GB stick of DDR3 1333. My FSB : DRAM shows up as 3 : 10.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back