CPU won't boot, fans stop & go.

By sm0kelm
Oct 20, 2006
  1. Just put my system together.
    4600+ Dual, Abit AN832X, 500W Power supply.

The first time I started it up, the fans spun for about half a second, stopped for a second, spun again for another half a second, and so on 3 times, and then the system started up.

After shutting down a couple minutes later, I tried starting it up again, and the fans just keep going in the stop & go loop described above.

I tried disconnecting the CD-R and the Hard Drive, and start again, and it started up. So I figured it was a power supply problem, and power supply wasn't strong enough or something, and decided to reconnect the CD-R and the Hard Drive 1 at a time, to see whether it could handle that.

Same spinning loop. So I disconnected both again, disconnected a bunch of other stuff, and nothing seems to fix it.

Perhaps when I was disconnecting the 2, I shifted the mobo or something. So I tried doing just that, made sure nothing is grounding it, checked the little stands that attach it to the case, etc. Everything looks fine.

Any ideas?
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

sounds like a mobo or psu problem

what make and model is the power supply, and what are its watt ratings?
  3. sm0kelm

sm0kelm TS Rookie Topic Starter

Model # ADW-50063.

Basically came with my case. :\

I don't think it's a mobo problem, because when I ordered it, I paid them to put the CPU on the mobo (the 4600+ I heard is a bit hard to get the heatsink/fan on, so I figured let 'em do it) & test it. Test came out fine they said.

Not quite sure what you mean by Watt ratings, dunno much 'bout power supplies, which #'s are ya lookin' for?
  4. smore9648

smore9648 TS Rookie Posts: 697

Sounds like a faulty power supply.

Buy another one and see if you have the same problem, then return the other one to mwave.

I love mwave
  5. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

stay away from generic supplies like the one you said. i reccomend you replace it with an antec smartpower 500w, which uses modular cabling and can be had for $70 USD
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.