CPU wont spin

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbett_1989

So my power supply blew out a couple of weeks ago and i finally got it replaced this week. Problem is my CPU fan won't turn. I have replaced my motherboard and I got another cpu fan just in case. The new one and the old one won't spin on the new motherboard and the old motherboard. This is my first pc that i have built so I could have made a mistake. I turned on and off the Cool ' n' Quiet feature and my cpu temperatures rises while it idles. Could I have a bad cpu fan? or did I mess up somewhere in the bios? I can reach my windows 64 bit operating system no problem if that helps or not

Specs:
AMD Dual Core 3.2 GHz's
Asus m2n-sli Motherboard
Nvidia 8600 GT Graphic Card
Thermaltake 850 Watts Powersupply

As insulting as this may seem, is it plugged in or are you just putting it in the PC and expecting it to work magically? :)

LMAO at name of thread. The CPU isn't supposed to spin, if it does, check your motherboard screws, or mounting mechanisms :D

It is possible you have a bad CPU fan. Might have blown with the PSU, you'd never know.

However, if you bought the new one after your PSU blew up....

Also, the fan can only be plugged in one way, so check if you've done it right.

If all else fails, get an adaptor so you can plug it into the molex. You will lose the ability to control your fan speed from Windows, but at least your CPU won't burn up.

Ha yea i know sorry about the title I was in a rush to figure this out...it sounds like a solid idea though...if anything I could use the molex adapter to see if the motherboard is failing or the CPU fan is failing. Thanks for the advice.

"LMAO at name of thread." Yeah I reckon!

The name of the thread was the only reason I looked into this thread.

Anyways, if its a new mobo and PSU and the fan doesnt spin, surely the problem has to lie with the fan itself? Thats what I would think anyway.

skitzo_zac said:
Anyways, if its a new mobo and PSU and the fan doesnt spin, surely the problem has to lie with the fan itself? Thats what I would think anyway.
Except that he replaced it and still has the problem.

Is the fan stuck? Try turning it with your finger or something, maybe the blade is jammed up against the heat sink.

I am 100 percent sure that the cables are connected correctly. Regardless I fixed the problem...turned out to be just a bad motherboard. I replaced it today and used the old CPU fan and everything is running correctly except for the harddrive which I damaged. Luckily I can still run my CD version of Linux until i get a new harddrive. Thank for the help everyone

Pity the CPU didn't actually spin, that would have been really neat, especially which a clear side panel case.

That would be a sweet cooling solution as opposed to a fan. Just stick a heatsink with long fins sticking out to the sides on top of your spinning CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back