CQ60 Start up issues

SBHack

I am trying to resurrect a Compaq CQ60-514NR. Pressing power button with power cord attached gives two lights on front edge (switch and power), and the light on the power button, for about 8 seconds, they go out for about 4 seconds and come back on. The fan does not start. There is no activity from the hdd. The memory modules have been reseated. The battery has been removed, power button held down for 30+ seconds, and cord reinstalled. I have a completely black screen. After work tomorrow, I intend to substitute a known good hdd and reassess. Any other suggestions?

I understand this model has a horrible track record of GPU overheating issues and if left in this semi-on state, the exhaust area does heat up tremendously even though there is no functioning display. Is there a way to test the GPU? The GPU being bogus would not stop the hdd from spinning up would it? I have a CQ60-422DX that runs very cool and am hoping this unit will make like Lazarus and get with the program.

Hi SBHack, what is the meaning of "SBHack"? if u dont mind saying.
Anyway do something, Open you laptop and make sure you have a the Mobo out, locate a chip that is labelled INTEL its located next to the processor and its call the north bridge, get a hot air gun and paste, apply paste to it and heat it up to at least 500 Degree Cent for 25-30 secs, put it back and try it again, however you have to remember that problem might be fix but if it happens again with intel, that mean you have to change the mobo.
For AMD or NVIDIA chip, its ok you do it again and it works again.
Hope that helps

Thanks Robin for the suggestion. It is an interesting concept. I would be interested in hearing from others about this suggestion. I think if the north bridge is suspect I would be better off replacing it. As for SBHack, one of my interests is in sound equipment. I sometimes must put "workarounds" or "hacks" in place to come up with the correct sound. It is not involving the unethical...only the creative. The name? Sound Booth Hack.

Back