TechSpot

Crash before and after graphics card install

By domyue
Oct 24, 2007
  1. Hi guys,

I had loads of crashes before and after tedious testing of HD and RAM with no errors, realised it was something else. I had a "generic hardware fault" before and concluded it was something to do with my graphics card.

I changed GFX card to an nVidia GX5700 and now a DIFFERENT error code pops up on the BSOD crash - it is a driver issue it says (never seen this screen before).

I've included a minidump so hope someone can help me find out what driver issue this is??

Thanks so much guys! These multiple-times-a-day random crashes for the past 4 months are driving me nuts. It frequently does it when I'm doing important work too. So any help greatly appreciated!

2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Did you remove the old drivers 1st?

Run a CHKDSK lately? Open "My Computer", right click on your C drive, select Tools, Error Checking, tick the 2 boxes and restart when it prompts you to.

This often helps where nothing else will - I'd have been looking closely at your RAM, but you say you've tested it... - Go to RUN on the Start Menu, type CMD, and in the box it brings up, type SFC /SCANNOW {don't forget the space!}

It basically checks all the Windows Services and files are intact, and if they aren't, it repairs them. Have your Windows CD handy in case it prompts for it. Should take around 20mins, depending on PC Speed.

3. domyue

domyue TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

I've done a full chkdsk with a repair and disks are completely fine. RAM i tested with Memtest and it was without error with 7 passes. I tried doing Scannow but i've lost my disc!! I've tried using my laptop's disc but it didnt work (said not correct disc).

Where should I go from here??? Is there a way of doing it without using Scannow or by using another disc?

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Minidump points to cmdmon.sys which is a driver for Comodo firewall. This is a common issue. I suggest going over to Comodo forums and see what help tips they can give you.

Also, do you have the latest (not beta) version of Comodo?

5. domyue

domyue TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

I do have the latest version of Comodo. My crash incidentally came when I was playing a game...wonder why comodo was involved in that?

I've just uninstalled the ATI drivers (my old GFX card) so lets see if my system is more stable if I play that game again. If not, I'll look into comodo forums.

BTW, how did you find out it was comodo?? Cos I've tried to read minidumps before to no avail - it gives me seemingly random bits of info but doesnt tell me the exact file causing the conflict/crash. Could you direct me on how to read the dumps like you do to get the offending driver's name??

Thanks!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.