Crash problem while running games

lho

Hey, I've posted here before and thought the problem was gone, but apparently I was wrong. The installing new graphic driver solution did not work as well as I hope, the problem is still here. Errors are becoming more frequent during my gameplay and once again I am here to seek help.

I only play two games on this desktop, which are modern warfare 2 and left 4 dead 2.
Let me once again describe my trouble playing these 2 games:
During my gameplay, the frame would suddenly freeze up and the sound would loop repeatedly. I often wait during this sound looping/frame freezing occurrence to hope that the game would return to normal, but that is really rare. Since the game is unable to run properly, I am required to go to task manager and end the game's task. As mentioned in my previous post regarding this problem, I searched on Google a and tried numerous solutions but it was no help. As I read one of the post I got from Google, I'm beginning to wonder if this is really a graphic driver problem, or perhaps it is a hardware problem like fault memory?

That is just a theory and I hope someone here can point me in the right direction to solve this annoying case.

Assistance would be much appreciated!
Please let me know if you need more information or files.

Thank you for the quick reply
as for your instruction:
1. Download and install new driver

I assume you are talking about the graphic driver. I have already done this step as it was the recommended action on my previous post which involved the same trouble. My graphic driver is up to date and it was done so with the instructions from one of the helper on this site

(1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install....)

so I think that's fine. Unless you meant other drivers? Do you have instruction I can follow?

2. Clean up the system and registry
Sorry, if I'm asking an obvious question but what do you meant by clean up the system the registry?

If you are talking about virus/malware, I'm sure my computer is clean because I was infected a few months ago , but techspot helped me resolve the problem and also recommended programs to help me keep my computer safe. (been doing scans regularly)

As for registry, I don't really know how to clean up this part but I often use ccleaner and scan for registry issue. I hope that's what you mean.

About two months ago I was experiencing the same problem. I tried updating my drivers, and every other suggestion that was offered to me with no success. I opened up my computor right after using it and found that my graphics card was extremely hot. The fan on the card wasnt working and if I hadnt caught this early enough my card would have fried. Installing a new fan fixed the game crashes completely so checking your graphics card's temperature might be a good place to start.

hey, thanks for the suggestion.
That actually been on my mind before, so I opened up the case and checked the fan on the graphic card. The fan looks okay and running, but for some reason, the bottom of the card was really hot when I to touch it. So maybe that is reason.

But wouldn't overheat causes the whole computer to shutdown and such? My problem can sometimes be solved by opening the end task manager and just ending the game, wouldn't that suggest it is something other than overheat then?

Well I followed the advice of checking the temperature.

When I'm nothing running any game, the temp for my gpu was mostly around 65 -70

After running some games...
LFD2 - GPU went up to 90-100 when the problem occur! (experiences frame-lock and sound loop the most---everytime guarantee)
Modern Warfare 2 - GPU went up to somewhere 81-90 during gameplay (occasionally experience the problem- didn't experience the problem to find out the temp)

I don't really know if those temperature is enough to make the graphic card overheat?
Any ideas?

No I really doubt it, my graphic card ain't the best but I'm pretty sure it can handle, along with intel duo core 2 so I think it should be fine.

I also went to "can you run it" to see if my computer can handle the game, it says my computer was way above the minimum too.

I suspect it is a temperature problem as one of my friend said graphic card should usually hover between 60-70 degree.

If so, is there any suggestion how to lower my graphic card temperature?
keep it simple please

You haven't provided us with your computer's complete specs, so commenting on what would be normal temperature range for your graphic card is impossible. However, the temperatures you telling surely seems on the higher side, ensure that your casing has good airflow (i.e. intake and outflow); also what are the temperatures of processor zone etc.

My computer is MS Window XP Professional SP3,
Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz, 2.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA 8800 GT

From the speed fan reading (not running any game):
GPU: 66C
System: 36C
CPU: 51C
AUX: 24C
HD0: 37C
Core 0: 53C
Core 1: 53C
Core: 66C
Ambient: 50C

are those the reading and specs you meant?

update on the problem:
for some reason the problem seems to be more frequent in l4d2 than modern warfare 2

In left for dead 2, the frame would freeze and sound loop for a while and then everything would run again while the picture be all messed up like everything would become blocks.

In modern warfare 2, the frame would freeze and sound loop, but this one doesn't return to normal and required to end with task manager, then whole computer would change 16-bit color and a pop up message would say something like "nv4_disp,dll is not function properly" and then it would require me to restart the whole computer.

I hope these details will help, does it indicate a temp. problem?

Ambient temperature of 50C is just too high IMO, so is the CPU temperatures at 53C (I'm assuming these are idle temperatures) but it is dependent on ambient temp.

I have come across so many issues related to Geforce 8000 series cards, just like yours, where games will freeze for no apparent reason, and randomly at that. Can you borrow another graphic card from a friend?

If so, please ensure that before installing that card, uninstall your graphic drivers, then install the card, and reinstall its drivers. Regards

Is the ambient temperature and CPU temperature causing this problem or the graphic card itself due to the unstable series?

I really hope there is a way other than getting a new graphic card since I would have to buy it because I don't have a friend who own an extra one.

Would getting a new fan help at all?

Ensure that your casing has optimum airflow (i.e. inflow and outflow) arrangements.

Anyway, a question which comes to mind where on earth you are where 'ambient temperature' remains at 50C ? I mean even in the hottest areas, ambient temperature inside the building would be reasonably less than the outside temperature.

i believe the ambient temperature from speed fan is referring to inside the computer case, pretty sure I would be dead in those temperature.

Haha, well thanks for the help.

Lol, welcome, exactly what I meant, anyhow, where I live in summers temperature goes upto 47C outside, but even then temperature without AC on, doesn't go above 50C inside my PC. So that is still bit on the higher side for me.

Back