TechSpot

Crashed Hard Drive

By nickc
Apr 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. My backup hard drive Just stopped working, and I am wondering if there is a way recover the files?

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

If the drive is dead, there is no way. That is just bad luck I guess haha. Backup drives are supposed to be a safety net. I would always have 3 copies. 1 copy on the main drive, and another copy on the backup drive. I think after this, you may want to move to cloud storage, or remember to copy to 2 locations.

3. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,634

JC, I am not dening what u said because I would like to, but at this time I have 2.8 Trig of Data on drives on my main computer and it grows daily that is on three hard drives, as far as the cloud storage, I do not think my internet connect would back that up in a day.

thanks
    nickc

4. JC713

Hmm. You must be backing up daily. I am saying, whatever files you put on the external drive that you can't recover, like photos and such, should be backed up to the cloud. Things like games can easily be reinstalled.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Don't perform FULL backups - - use the differential technique instead. This will minimize the amount of files transferred during each backup.

6. JC713

What exactly is a differential backup. Is it just backing up an image of your PC along with files?

7. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,446   +324

Many backup utilities offer {Full, Incremental and Differential} techniques.

Here's a description of such.

JC713 and Cobalt006 like this.
  8. JC713

Oh man, thanks for telling me that, that will help a ton. What utilities are recommended for doing such a task?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.