TechSpot

Crashing, I don't know why

By 009900
May 25, 2009
  1. Here are some of my specs:

Asrock N7AD-SLI motherboard
    2x 1024MB DDR2
    nvidia 9400GT
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 @ 2.20GHz (64 bit)
    600W PSU

No operating system installed at the moment but I know that it crashes in XP Professional 32-bit, Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Peripherals:

The usual mouse and keyboard. (PS/2)
    Optiarc CD/DVD drive
    D-Link DWA-140 wireless USB device (ralink 2800 chipset)

If you need any other specs just ask.

Okay. My problem is that every so often when I'm in Windows (I've tested Vista Ultimate 32-bit, 64-bit and XP Pro 32-bit) the computer will just crash. It doesn't reboot, the display seems to just "stick". I know it isn't the monitor that's the problem because it was working before I installed the new motherboard (the one detailed above).

I'll be browsing the internet or playing a game when it just stops working, and I can either turn the blasted thing off or stare at the desktop until I decide to throw it out of the window.

I haven't the faintest idea what this could be. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,984   +168

Reset your motherboard bios to "failsafe" defaults. Use only 1 memory stick to install the OS. Make sure that you don't have any USB devices attached, besides a keyboard and mouse, when installing the OS

3. 009900

009900 TS Rookie Topic Starter

OK I'll try that later.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.