Crashing in All games at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneill2004uk

Hi all :)

Got a very annoying problem that i've been trying to solve for months and its just not going well :(

Every game i've played since i've built my computer seems to crash at some point maybe there just general conflicts i dont know, i dont understand it all seems fine in Vista.

Games include:-

crysis, world in conflict (which crashed today after 40 mins play time:( ) supreme commander, company of heroes which seems to crash everytime i play it after about 10 - 30 mins and C&C3.

First off my system specs:-

Vista 64 bit ultimate
Intel QX6850 Extreme
BFG 8800 gts 512mb
asus Striker Forumla II 780i motherboard
2gb Dominator 8500 ram
Creative X-fi Xtreme audio soundcard
2 x 160GB harddrives

anything else anyone needs feel free to ask :)

All games Run fine at Maxed out settings some of which i can even put anti aliasing on Max. they all run smoothly until they crash.

All drivers are up to date, no problems found with directX

When the games crash some fo them have that high pitched noise until i restart which is very scary playing with headphones at 12 @ night lol

my vista "problem reports and solutions" application is full of "stopped working" "stopped responding" none of which the stupid program has ever found a solution for because its rubbish.

I do use a Rivatuner 2.09 for my graphics card fan and when i load games up i run it 80% as these cards get pretty hot whether thats the problem i dont know....

would just like a bit of guidance please :(

hope someone can help will eternity in your debt

Tom

Hi Tom,
I wish you had done your homework before you decided to use a 64-bit OS. Especially knowing that you were a game player... Revert to Vista 32-bit or go back to XP. Is your copy of Vista 64-bit updated to SP1?

i Know thats wht i've been told :(

but its nice lol i like it it just seems to be dreadful with games plus i'm getting 4gb is xp 64bit any good?

yes i do have SP1 not that it seems to make any difference to ANYTHINK lol

is there anyway i can install xp on one hardrive and keep vista on the other? and is it alright to have a 64 bit vista and a 32 xp dual booting ?

stay away from xp 64bit there are too many devices that do not have drivers for them and no one is making the drivers any more.

I get that high pitched noise occasionally when my machine crashes also...I am running 32 bit XP and Audigy 2 ZS on Asus M2N SLI AM2...Still trying to figure mine out

nickc said:
stay away from xp 64bit there are too many devices that do not have drivers for them and no one is making the drivers any more.

thanks for that not going with that anymore just wondered if it was any good.

Gebo said:
I get that high pitched noise occasionally when my machine crashes also...I am running 32 bit XP and Audigy 2 ZS on Asus M2N SLI AM2...Still trying to figure mine out

yes it gets very annoying.

right then... i've installed my old windows xp! :D back so now i have 1 hardrive with XP on and one with vista on. can't figure out how to get that "pick which OS" you want at the start though :(

EDIT: i remember now you have to set them up as master and slave don't you? or is that only with IDE drives i've got SATA 160gb samsungs anyone know how to what to do? i've googled it and didn't really find anything :(

anyone know how to either get a thing that comes up to select which hardrive you want it to boot from?

11:15am update: having problems with activation at the moment which is a pain because it is a genuine copy of xp but because i had it on my old computer and then destroyed the hardrive and binned it its already been avtivated hasn't it? so i have to ring microsoft and tell them to reactivate it on this computer :(

having loads of drivers problems already lol with my monitor can only get 4bit colour and cant adjust any of the bars arwwwwwwwwww problems !

update: got all my drivers sorted now! :D

its looking good only thing is that xp wont let me activate my copy of windows i'm not happy contacted support waiting for them to get back in touch with me :)

Go ahead and call the Microsoft Activation phone number. The process is automated and will only take about 6 minutes

All hardware that says it is Vista compatible is required to have a 64-bit driver available for it, of course there is not guarantee that the driver is stable but it is a requirement that Microsoft set for Vista compatibility. I learned this from a Microsoft rep during a demo of Server 2008.

yea nearly there thanks everyone :)

the only thing i'm left to sort out now is how to get that "dual boot" menu up at the start of windows using 2 hardrives, cant seem to find anywhere on the internet that shows people using dual boot with 2 OS's on 2 different hardrives :(

right sorted out the dual boot business :D at long last everythink was going great until my first game crashed last nite :( and i got a high pitch noise down the speakers

someone on another forum said this might be the psu not giving the graphics card enough power? could that be right?

I use to have a problem with games crashing did you try testing the ram, I went through a couple hardware components before I found that the ram was bad( yet I started with testing it You have to run the test for a long time I used memtest86) Oh and when I was running vista the computer did not detect any memory errors but ran pretty smooth until I started playing games when I had the trouble I was playing Bio-shock, and wow

right sorted out the dual boot business :D at long last everythink was going great until my first game crashed last nite :( and i got a high pitch noise down the speakers

someone on another forum said this might be the psu not giving the graphics card enough power? could that be right?

Yes the Power Supply could be too weak. What you you do now? Replace the power supply

Yes the Power Supply could be too weak. What you you do now? Replace the power supply

well i'm not going to replace it just yet i know my power supply is plenty powerful for my computer so i might run a voltage test on it to see if the voltages read the same as the bios

as for memory i never thought of that i will try running memtest how long does it take?

oneill2004uk, one PSU is not as good as another a good 400wat PSU can be better than a poor 600wat one. what is the make and model of u're PSU, and what does the sticker on the side of it say as far as amp on each rail?

I've got a Coolermaster realpower 850w PSU i can't really find what youre on about i think its this:- 12a-6.3a

on a website i found out "12A @ 115Vac / 6.3A @ 230Vac" doesn't say per rail thou :(

UPDATE: just ran memtest86 and everythings fine with my memory no errors so thats another thing to rule out :)

I did have 2 soundcards in one wasn't being used i dont even think i installed it thats been removed aswell now so that might help.

now just to test psu and removing my creative sound card otherwise i'm out of ideas :(

is it worth changing the graphics card power lead to my psu? because it came with a 6 pin to two 4 pins but i never used it, used a 6 pin to 6pin instead

Think i've cracked it! :D

i downloaded speedfan to check the voltages while stress testing my computer with company of heroes performance test which is a breeze even on max settings (179 fps average lol and a maximum of 370) was going.

anyway i set up a log for all my voltages (3.3, 12, & 5)

and the strange thing is i don't even get a reading off my 3.3 one? :S

and i do in the bios? am i ment to get a reading off them all the time?

UPDATE: actually that was aload of rubbish god software varies so much all of them seem to very inaccurate way of testing voltages all the otherones i've tried detected it and it was fine :(

so back to square one i guess.

Going to try removing the soundcard tomorw and creative and nvidia on a nvidia board are said to "clash" lol so might give that a whirl.

all of the voltages will shrink a little while in a stress test, and if one is bad it will vanish if over stressed and all will come back when not being pulled on so hard. I think u need to get a better PSU.

a better one :O mines better than most peoples isn't i thought i'll send it back and get a replacement if its knackered thou :) havn't had it 6 months yet been about 3

Think i fixed the problem changed the power cable from the 6 pin to an 8 pin seems to be working better maybe the 6pin was faulty or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back