TechSpot

Creating a permanent partiton with reformat ISO

By killershadow
Oct 28, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi all,

How can i create a partition which can be used as a reformat back up.
    This is to avoid having to use a DVD ISO with windows 7.

The partition i am referring to is something laptops have where if they need to reformat they just reformat from the 'saved ISO OS image' in a permanent partition without having to insert a DVD with the OS data files.

So basically - how to save a permanent OS image on a partition which can be used to reformant the computer when booting up.

Hope someone can help, considering i may not have been too clear.

Thanks

Regards

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,177

Something like Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image would do this. You either need a partition on your boot drive (other than the boot partition) or space on another drive to store the image of your OS.

3. killershadow

killershadow TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 52

So i create a permanent partition on the main HD, then use Norton Ghost to create a image of the 'newley' formatted C drive to be saved in the 'new' partition which can then be 'reactivated' to perform a reformat should the C drive become corrupted etc?

I will look into the Norton ghost which i have, but will also look into Acronis True image.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.