Creative unveils Android-based iPod touch rival

By Jos
Jul 28, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A filing with the FCC last month offered some evidence that Creative had a new touch screen portable media player in the works. Named after the system-on-a-chip processor the company showed off during CES 2009, the Zii Egg has been officially unearthed today and its feature set actually shows promise.

Read the whole story
  2. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 663

That thing looks awesome. I want one. I love Creative.
  3. HaMsTeYr

HaMsTeYr TechSpot Maniac Posts: 387

hmmm.... Looks quite like an iPhone clone... What i want to know now is how well it performs... Creative's software department has always had an issue. Older Creative MP3 Players were awesome, only with 1 flaw, they crashed like no tomorrow. >_>

I own a Sandisk Sansa e200 series myself and my cousin owns the Creative X-Fi, latest gen. I gotta say that i still love my Sansa more even after comparing audio quality with the X-Fi...

Creative better had something good if they plan on prying my beloved Sansa out of my hands, as only replacement i have in mind now would be the Cowon S9...
  4. An electronic swiss army knife of sorts.
  5. snowchick7669

snowchick7669 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 698

Aw go Creative

Does look rather like the Touch doesn't it?
  6. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,264   +41

I was looking forward to the zune hd, looks like this may have to be considered.
  7. Deathstar17

Deathstar17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

My thoughts exactly. It'll be amazing if it all comes together and is that cheap.
  8. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

I wonder if the SD slot accepts SDHC cards? While this looks awesome, and I do like the dual cameras, I'm still holding out for the Nvidia Tegra.
  9. I'm actually concerned with the performance of the device. During the demo there quite a few times where things weren't smooth, I don't know if it's the hardware or the software but this is a major problem. If it feels sluggish and unresponsive then it's gonna fail and personally I wasn't impressed at all.
  10. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

I have also read that this has been released to soon and that the performance has been unresponsive
  11. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

This isn't really a major concern as it is being released with a dev kit to begin with. Problems like this are almost always resolved by firmware updates.

12. I'm amazed to see "after the jump" still being used. Isn't that rather gauche?
  13. looks better than the ipod touch, but the only difference is apple makes millions apps for itouch
  14. based on the features list it seems that this device is able to do everything.. sd/sdhc supported great! now is only to wait for a working one from the developers
  15. kenm

kenm Newcomer, in training Posts: 19

What's nice about this device is it supports two separate OS's. Creative's own Plazma OS which is what the SDK supports that Creative is selling with the unit, and supports Android so there are already a bunch of apps already available for it. The 10-point multi-touch screen also looks really interesting. The full size SDHC slot is also nice, up to 64GB available memory.
  16. If it had an oled screen and an HD Radio Tuner, I'd get it for sure. But without those things, I don't know. I looks nice and has a few better features than the Zune HD, but I wouldn't buy one without those two things.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.