Crimes & Skype

Archean

Why crimes on Skype leave witnesses but no evidence

Thought provoking piece of writing from BBC's Chris Summers with regard to issues faced by Skype when it comes to law enforcement issues.

As stated in the article that there is no mechanism to monitor or record Skype (or VoIP) calls, it is sure to instigate a debate about ethical issues involved, especially, if instances like the ones mentioned in this article continue to happen. What is your take on this issue, should the Govt. be allowed to have a mechanism in place for this purpose?

Interesting article. I think there is always this fundamental problem with governments and freedom. We want the government to keep us safe but inevitable or the government to do its job it requires that citizens hand over some aspect of their freedom or privacy. However, there comes a point where enough freedoms have been given up so that the government, which was once a protector, becomes the aggressor. Personally I would say that the government should not be allowed to track, trace, or record Skype conversations. I think that would be a step towards too much power.

Same thing everywhere.

With senators and Wall Street parasites, internet freedom is endangered every second. As we saw recently, websites were keeping shadow copies of data despite users choosing to delete it. So, privacy, on the whole, whether on Skype or any other network, is void, despite any new "Acts" or "enforcement".

In order for the government to protect the people of it's state they need those people to give up somethings like tracking or tapping into calls. But not all people agree with this and likes to be watched. I'm going to have to say I hope this never happens .

In order for the government to protect the people of it's state they need those people to give up somethings like tracking or tapping into calls. But not all people agree with this and likes to be watched. I'm going to have to say I hope this never happens .

I agree with you. The governments themselves are trespassing on our privacy. With all the telemarketing calls allowed by the governments, social engineering is a very easy-to-pull-off crime technique. Die Hard 4 is a very illustrative example.

Back