Critical boot error

G

g4mer

I had tri-boot (windows7/xp and ubuntu 10.04 lts)....I deleted LInux Ubuntu partition and now when i try to boot onto my PC it says:
error: no such partition.
grub rescue>
(i can write something here)
omg what should i do?! Please someone help me i have some really important files!

You've removed your Linux, but the bootloader remains.

The easiest way is to insert your windows disk, and then either repair the installation, or enter the command line and from the prompt repair the MBR by doing the following:

fixmbr

reboot and you should be good then. :)

Yeah, i searched Google and i found out that Ubuntu bootloader was fuked so i did what you told me and now everything works....Thanks a lot! I didn't mean to delete Linux partition like that, i had some problems with my pc...Linux is acctually very good alternative OS...

Glad it all works.. So this is just a side note and fyi when using a Windows disc to fix a multi-boot environment

Since you had a mixed Win 7/XP boot machine, I'm going to guess you used your Win 7 disk to fix things? (As one should always try using the newest Windows version install disk) because

1) Win 7 knows about the old XP boot manager (Win 7 uses a different / newer boot manager then XP uses
2) So if one were to use their XP install disk to fix XP/Win 7 multiboot, they often see their Win 7 boot option disappear (because XP doesn't know about Win 7 booting so it ignores any Win 7 boot info)

Also, checkout a very cool and easy tool for managing Win 7/ Vista/ XP and Linux multi-boots is EasyBCD

Note my machine example below for my XP/Win 7 dual booting
/* edit */
btw.. if you look in my example, note that the XP and Win 7 entries each point to different boot loader program excutables: ntldr vs winload.exe
easybcd.jpg

@LookinAround
That looks rather interesting!

I'll have to look into it some more. Thanks for sharing.

Back